Head Unit vs small laptop?

adrianfa

ISDC Club Member
Lads,
I was thinking of getting some kind of screen put in the car to watch tv. I was thinking of something that would fold down from the roof (I've no sunroof). I've been told that reception for tv is rubbish and I'd be better off getting a dvd player. Further to that I'm told to get a head unit that will have a 7" (I think) screen to play dvds.

I was telling a friend today and she asked why don't I just get a small laptop so I looked up Dell and there is a nice laptop called Mini 10 that seems to be ok: http://ireland.dell.com/ie/en/home/...?refid=inspiron-1012&s=dhs&cs=iedhs1&ref=lthp

This has a 10 inch screen and you can take it with you. It says it has a 'tv antenna in'. I'm half thinking if the tv reception is any good at all, it might be better as i'm not planning to sit 2hrs in the car watching a DVD on a 7" screen but would more likely watch Sharon Ní Bheoláin reading the news for a few minutes. You could also plug in a mobile broadband USB key to pick up internet as well in it although I don't think that one has USB.

It could be stored under the seat out of harm's way as well.

What do ye think?

two totally different items you want some thing for your car :
both no good ,
if your looking for tv trans, then i would forget both as laptop or incar will not give you anything worth it
buy your self a good dvd player for your car if you spend anuff time to view it other than that forget it

TV IN CAR = sh*t RECEPTION

I tryed nd tested in coaches waste of money just stick on the radio for the news

one of the lads i work with put in a ten inch screen in to his astra got a kit on e bay fitted it in and all he made a nice job of it internet and all the works

Akki used to have computer in his wagon.

Helped us home from lurgan park a few years back

TV reception here is non exisant.Got additional aerials still no joy.Might try some type of freeview box in the future :dontknow:

Only use dvd on long journeys with kids.

Good double din does the job

:smokin:

i have a dvd player in the car with a 7" motorised touch screen , its illegal to have it running while the car is moving and is very distracting while you drive most have a feature built in where it will not display video unless linked to the hand brake and the hand brake is up but this can be easily bypassed by grounding it in the car

i got a double din with 7inch screen there a while ago , thinking id get great use out of it .... , turns out i haven't used the dvd/avi facility since i got it ...since i gave up the smokes , i dont spend too much time in the car on me break in work , so no reason to use it

better off with a nice sound setup ,

I can see what you're saying and to be honest my head is arguing with my heart over this because i know deep down I'll end up like you, silverbullit, i'll probably use it a few times and get tired of the small screen. But sure we'll see....... :icon_grin:

if i was you, id find a flipscreen stereo that in some way would support a portable harddrive, like the iomega ego 320gb or 500gb.
or a flipscreen/stereo/harddrive built into one.

iv a dvd player and i never use it. but if you did that you wouldnt have any messing round with dvds, youd have all you music and movies at a touch of a button.
i know theres harddrives in some of the new bmw 330s as standard so surely theres an aftermarket :ponder2:

i pod touch works for me have had both t.v. and screen but i pod now is king
as for t.v. reception its pretty bad and also will be turned off soon as the switch to digital will be coming
:thumbsup:

Back