E85 is anyone using it

W

witcher

Hi there
I am planning on the following:
1. buy subaru sti
2. put forged bottom end and some better heads (still reaearching)
3. go for 400 hp and 400 lb torque
This might mean higher compression.
Since I live in Mayo there is no chance of getting 98 octane fuel (superunleaded), but I recently discovered e85, which is great on octane number and I am going to fit all the fueling system to manage bioethanol. I know the disadvantages of it as well, but my question is:
Does anybody switch on to E845 already?
Does anybody map the engine running bioethanol?
if yes what injectors do you use (size??)

The problem is there's not too many petrol stations around in Ireland with e85 - so it's rather bad idea for now, to make it an only map.
As a second map in switchable ecu - sounds pretty good. Might be worth of replacing fuel lines in older cars, but I believe new age should manage ethanol with no big issues.
There's still huge thread on NASIOC about using bioethanol by the way.

What injectors - it depends on what mods you're going to do and what power you're after - you need to remember that ethanol has about 30% less energy, so worth of thinking of about 30% bigger injectors than as for petrol.

Just in short - anyway - worth of bigger reading

stick to E5 instead fella....
E85 requires too much work in my opinion for all the benefit ya will see from it......

even on a standard sti with standard turbo etc(need bigger injectors but your gonna have to replace them anyway) theres MASSIVE gains to be made..its gonna be a drag/track car then go for it I'd say your car will run safer big numbers on it..its as close to race fuel as 95 is to E5. If the car is a daily runner its a bit pointless.most e85 is 104 ron octane for any of the doubters

e85 contains ethanol which is a corrisove solvent,so a stainless steel fuel tank non corrosive fuel pumps and piping.

Yeah lads
I know ethanol is corrosive therefore I am going to put all new fueling system, it is quite rare petrol stationwise, but there is one that sells it in Cbar where I live and I just love high octane number and cooling effect of ethanol. the car is going to be a road car but a verrrry fast one:) I also know the E85 means less energy means bigger injectors, I am going to install some 750 to 1000, pretty wild for the petrol car but with E85 they might just do a job:), the more I think about this little project of mine the more I like whole idea:) Just imagine a green streetracer:), mad!!
Thanks for the input lads really appreciate it!

[quote author=fat-controller link=topic=20426.msg248737#msg248737 date=1263164277]
e85 contains ethanol which is a corrisove solvent,so a stainless steel fuel tank non corrosive fuel pumps and piping.
[/quote]

He said he was aware of the dangers in the first post

I ran my Altezza on e85 for about nearly 2 years only changes i made to the car was installing a bio fuel adapter kit. which would allow you put in any mix of normal unleaded/e85. I know a few lads running it and none every had any problems with it apart form it lack of availabilty around petrol stations.

do some more research before going ahead witcher,the rumour is e85 will be off the market soon because it contains acetaldehyde which is highly toxic ,tests are on going on it,and they will be bringing out a new fuel contaning a methanol based additive.if your still going ahead i give you a few stats and fiqures tech books on different types of fuel and components needed as we use nearly every fuel known to man in work.

thanks for that, I appreciate it. That is why I do not want to rush it. Preparation saves money and time, and I do not have either in abundance :) I will be in this forum a lot
cheers

@Fat Controller
I would be happy if you could send some technical data my side. I basically cannot afford mistakes, therefore I want to know what there is to know, in advance :)
If you have ome links would be great. I will PM you with my mail address.

As above most points covered.

For the expense on fuel tank and lines etc etc money could be put more wisely..

Even if only option was 95 i would think with forged engine and your plans done correctly getting 400/400 do-able no problem without creating hurdles un-nessasary.

DAVE

@ Davelegacy
Thanks, you definately have a point. I am trying to keep an open mind on that, so at the moment considering options.
cheers

No problem,but dave works on subarus so i would take his advice as he would know alot more than me,I just repair jet engines, pistons are not really my forte,but if you want anything regarding fueling and the correct compounds i can post them to you :thumbsup:

@Fat Controller
Go ahead, give me links, I need some fuel pump, I know the company that produces teflon filled fuel lines to injectors, and stainless steel in between, the in between worries me a bit. Haven't look into it properly yet.
Anyway any major problems with subarus except of crankshaft bearing commonly giving up, that I shall be aware of??
How is original turbo?
And from which year Impreza's ECU is programmable? 1998?

Back