Best Place to get a gearbox sorted

Paddy GT

Sunday Drivers
Hi all,

I bought myself a type r 2 weeks ago and bought it knowing that there is a gear selection issue which Im presuming its a syncro - when I am driving it briskly :smile: it will crunch slightly going into 5th if Im not careful and coming down from 5th into 4th again it will crunch if I'm not very gentle with it - I take it this is pretty much guaranteed to be a syncro gone and if so who is the best man to look at it ??

Cheers,
Patrick

Best give the mr gearbox a shout. :thumbsup:

72A Ballygall rd West 11 Co. Dublin
D11 Dublin (Dublin 11)

While you are driving it before you get it repaired you should double clutch when changing between 4th and 5th. i.e. When in 5th,engage clutch and change to neutral, engage clutch again and drop to 4th. Visa versa for 4th to 5th. This should prevent grinding during gearchange and prolong the gearbox life until you get it fixed. You would be surprised at how quickly you can double clutch when you get used to it.

well paddy i had a similier problem with my wrx i rang finnegans in longford and they said they have gearbox oil with a subaru additive within 300miles your troubles will be over. its worth a phone call and discribe your problem to them. im going to get it done it is a cheap fix insted of pulling the box apart.

Cheers for all the help guys - must try double clutching - I can get it not to crunch most of the time unless I change up or down up in the rev range

@cwrx be no harm to try an oil change I guess, but from my limited experience a if a syncros fooked then there is no easy way out! Do you have a number for them.

same problem meself n it went on so long its fallin outta 4th. youll knacker de gears if its not sorted. bohernabreena in dublin sorted 1 4 me b4 n i found them reasonable n quick so price around n weigh up your options. best of luck wit it lad

0906432229 finnegans in ballymahon co longford i find them very helpfull. i hope they fix your problem. :thumbsup:

Ali Burrows is the man to talk to about it, he is at these everyday of the week,
I am sorry to say that i cant see different oil stoping the problem, hopefully i am wrong

Back