map sensor taken out.....

scoobyjoe2007

Petrolheads
lads a friend is looking at a 97 wrx...

he asked the seller was it mapped and the seller said no...
he then said the map sensor was taken out to let it run a bit rich so its safe....

just wondering has anyone here heard of this... and is it safe...

because i never heard of anyone doing this....

:naughty: he's talking shite walk away with the map out engine would be all over the place revving up and down, hunting and staling afaik.

The Sensor your talking about is the MAF! (Mass Air Flow) If disconnected the car will run rich but will be under powered and occasionally stall.
The MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) is totally different and monitors manifold pressure for the ECU to control boost.

A 97 V3 wrx doesn't need to be mapped for Irish fuel (as they ran a lower octane back then in Japan, V4 onwards where higher octane) and they can't be mapped on a factory ECU anyway, I had a 97 STI Type-r for over a year and it was perfect, and it had been in Ireland over 3 years!

So If he means the MAF! Then I'd walk away as its probably disconnected because its fooked and they are €480 new (I know, cause I had to buy one)
If he means the MAP! Then I'd walk away as he doesn't know his ass from his elbow. You NEVER disconnect the MAP for any reason.

Hope this helps mate :thumbsup:

cheers lads... i said that to him...

he has it in a text message that its the map sensor thats disconnected....

cheers.... :thumbsup:

drove this car this evening....

he rang my friend to say he was coming to limerick and did he want to see it... so he said he would..

it was very sluggish and when you plant the accelerator... goin through the revs it was whining something awful....

An electric kinda sounding whine can be the type of turbo, like a VF22. They whine but its normal.

However the sluggish part and the other things mentioned about this car, I'd stay well away from it :thumbsup:

Back