apexi turbo timer

Anto J

Octane Boostaholics
I know this may seem like a really stupid question to most but can anyone tell me what this is for. just bought a wrx and an apexi turbo timer was already installed. i messed around with it one day and apart from battery voltage meter and timed ignition switch off i dont know what else it does :dontknow: . i would apreciate if someone could post a link to a manual or alternatively educate me with lay man language. thanks

[quote author=Mr. Jack link=topic=20144.msg245156#msg245156 date=1262212945]
and timed ignition switch off i dont know what else it does :dontknow: . [/quote]

Well I guess that's the main purpose of turbo timers.. -timed ignition switch off - so you could lock the car and leave it for a while on idle for cooling down.

according to Wikipedia...

A turbo timer is a device designed to keep an automotive engine running for a pre-specified period of time in order to automatically execute the cool-down period required to prevent premature turbo wear and failure. After a period of driving when a turbocharger has been working hard, it is important to let the engine run at idle speed for a period of time, allowing the compressor assembly to cool from the lower gas temperatures in both the exhaust and intake tracts. At the same time the lubricating oil from the engine is able to circulate properly so the turbine won't burn the lubricating oil that would otherwise be trapped within the charger with the turbine rotating at high speed. With regard to modern automotive turbochargers, the need for a turbo timer can be eliminated by simply ensuring the car does not produce any 'boost' (during driving) for several minutes prior to the ignition being shut off. Most turbo timers are based on digital electronics.

Turbo timers can usually be disabled by an external switch, this is normally done using the handbrake switch, or using an automatic one.

I also found the Apexi Turbo Timer Instruction manual.

http://www.japrace.com/images/instructiondownloads/Apexi-Auto-Timer.pdf

[quote author=gonzogicker link=topic=20144.msg245219#msg245219 date=1262223512]
I tried using the handbrake once! :icon_redface: Colin Mcrae i ain't. :icon_pray: It did stall the car though :multijump:
[/quote]

Aye! U need to engage the clutch first afaik if ye catch my drift :lol: .. that's very bad for your visco though. :D unless you have the Auto function in DCCD ( new age only) which would disengage the rear axle for the time being.

Does anyone know what the most fuel efficient a/f ratio is, or does it make any difference? (Codders karma for your help before :thumbsup:)

Back