I know we have an Oil FAQ forum but . . . .

Tombusa

Sunday Drivers
I know we have an Oil FAQ forum but . . .
sort of need quick answers

For some reason, my 06 WRX STI has developed a taste for engine oil to rival the United States . . .

Anyways, What I need to know is:
Where to get oil tomorrow...
What oil to get tomorrow....

If I can get it I'll go for Red Line 15 W 50 high performance, cos that's whats in it

Might halfords be open ?
I can get Havoline Premium 15 W 40 anywhere, is that the OK in case of running really low or not being able to get what I really want ?
Or would Havoline Extra be better 10 W 40 - that's semisynthetic

If I can get it I'll go for Red Line 15 W 50 high performance, cos that's whats in it

On a separate issue would love any opinions on why it's going through alot of oil.
We're talking getting from the high notch on the 14th, to the low notch on the 24th of the month - - - maybe 750 kms ...max.
Dealers (Subaru) have run emissions tests on it and are sure it's not burning the oil.
Buddy says I'm leaving it to idle too long on cold mornings - but I let it idle for only for about 2-3 mins from cold - he says that the oil dosn't get distributed around .
OR am I running the wrong oil for winter??? :icon_rolleyes: :icon_rolleyes:

I dunno :geek: :icon_cry: :icon_cry: :icon_cry: :icon_cry: :icon_cry: :icon_cry:

I just get more confused - the Halfords oil guide says to buy 5W30 SemiSynth

and the castrol website says to go for:
Edge 5W-30 4.3
Magnatec 5W-30 A1
Syntrax Universal 3.5

But everything I read says 10 or 15 for the Winter grate with 40+ for the other side of the viscosity grade anf Fully Synthetic ? ? ?

Dunno Dunno Dunno

Firstly Subaru did recommend 5W30 but have since changed this and now recommend 10w40 or higher! So Halfords and the likes may not have updated their recommendations.

Semi or fully synthetic will do the job for ya, so don't worry too much about that for now.

Go for: Mobil 1 / Castrol Magnatec / Motul 300V, If you can't get these then get anything of the same grade in a petrol station just to get ya by.

As for why its drinking so much oil, it can ONLY be Burning it or leaking it. So either the turbo / piston rings / valve stem oil seals have a problem or its leaking out somewhere. But if its leaking you should notice it on the ground, unless its only leaking under pressure. Check underbody for oily patches. With that said, I have had issues myself with cheaper 5w30 and 10w40 oils before that it seemed to "use" it up, but when I changed to decent 10w40 or 15w50 it didn't use any, so maybe thats your problem too :dontknow:

I let my standard sti warm for at least 5 mins, and the 2.5 I let warm for 10mins before driving it, There is no problem in doing this and the oil does get distributed just as good at idle.

Back