Weird Engine Temp Issue

Paddy GT

Sunday Drivers
Hi all,

I bought a '97 v4 type r this week and love the car the only issue I have noticed is weird readings on the temp guage.

When Im driving the car normally the temp guage sits just below half way and I get lovely hot air out of the vents - but when I hit traffic the temp guage shoots up towards the 3/4's mark and I get cold air out of the vents - it never overheats and a short straight stretch brings the temp guage back to normal and hot air returns.

My initial thought is a dodgy thermostat - but I said id check with you guys first incase it would be anything else?

Normally when a thermostat isnt opening fully it means the car is very quick to heat up from cold? and if it is stuck open it will run very cool when driving? - this isnt the case with this one it reaches operating temp in a normal amount of time.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on it?

I owe an xmas pint to whoever can help! :icon_jook:

also a bit of an amateur question ... what level should the water be at in the header tank? I dont see max and min marks on mine

i'm no expert but the heather tank should be between a quarter and half full .on the temp problem sounds like an air lock in the system but could be the head gasket on the way out .i'm sure one of the lads will be along shortly and know more :thumbs up:

I had a car that done that a long time ago
It turned out to be the thermostat messin a bit!
Hopefully thats all it is in your case man

solved the problem just there now ... lack of water was the issue - there was fook all in the header tank when I checked, the car had been sitting for 6 months when I got it and I took the sellers word that he checked the levels - took it for a spin and the temp is fine and getting hot air all the time.. thankfully no damage was done

ps. my god I had forgotten how good scoobys are in icey conditions ... really enjoying driving one again!

hope ya put coolant / antifreeze in there aswell my friend....
Last thing you want is it freezing up and splitting pipes

Glad you got it sorted lad, just bleed all the air from the cooling system as air locks are common in scoobies!

Run the engine with the header cap off and when it gets up around running temp bubbles should come out, top up as necessary. :thumbsup:

yup put anti-freeze in will bleed it later but there doesnt seem to be any issues so hopefully all is ok...

Back