Type R gearbox able for 400 bhp??

marksscooby

Petrolheads
Hi Lads

Can a type r gearbox handle 400 bhp without failure or will i have to get a stronger gearbox and what would you recommend :ponder2:

What would i expect to pay for a stronger gearbox??

Thanks

Mark

AFAIK its down to the torque figure that's the question. I've heard that around 500lbs/ft of torque you start to shred gearboxes.

Open to correction though :ponder2:

Your clutch won't last long at 400bhp :icon_grin: :icon_grin:

Uprated clutch and i suppose your next step would be a PPG gear set as far as I remember that's
good for 600bhp +

here's their site : http://www.ppgearbox.com.au/

but your gear box will be louder with a distinictive wine from it
see clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUs9loF7HaU

TBH i don't think any of the lads here running high BHP cars have done anything with their gear boxes ?????
so im sure someone will be long with more info :thumbsup:

Niall.

The whine from the gearbox sounds great :subaru:

@Mark, I got on to Andy Forrest about going 20g turbo and he said the extra power could cause some trouble with standard gearbox especially 3rd gear. Best option would be to get a 6 speed gearbox from the newer model along with rear diff. he said they will handle up to 500bhp!

Thanks for all the info lads :thumbsup:

so if i get a 6 speed gearbox from a newage, would i have to change the diff too or can i keep my oem one?

your box will not last too long with 400hp ,

i changed mine to a 03 jdm 6 speed with diff control , defo will handle the power :subaru:

there are a few things that u will need to change ,

from what i can see u drive a type R , so all u will have to change is box , flywheel , clutch , starter motor , gear linkages , shifter , gear knob , leather gator . and new oils

your original drive shafts will do as the type r has the bigger shafts ( same as new age ). and your diff and prop will be ok too . i would recomend changing your diff though cause

will at least know that the box and diff are a defo match and alot newer :thumbsup:

hope this helps

just to add to that as jp is correct

ppg will be alot stronger than a six speed but you will get that horrible wine off it which is not nice in a road car,it will set you back about 4 grand all in and the six speed will set you back about the same

all i can say is, if your going for 400 ponys, DONT FORGET YOUR BRAKES, buy good ones and factor in about 1500 euro for them

JP i think using the 5spd prop can be a lot of hassle, and maybe even need to be shortend as 6spd box is longer.. plus if he uses 5spd prop with 6spd rear diff, think you have to change flange or widen out holes.
Best option is, to try get everything from one donor car.. 6spd diff, prop, box, gear linkage, starter. thats route i took anyway. and i highly recomend using the 6spd flywheel, that way you can use an exedy stage 1 clutch, they are not harsh and able for loads more than the 5spd stage one. something like 500 to 550 ftlbs torque whereas a 5spd stage one is not really happy at 400ftlbs
I think you will be alright Mark, think you are still running 2ltr, so you arent going to have 400 ftlbs on a 20g, probably hopefully, max i would think of somewher between 300 to 340 ftlbs, anyway a good mapper can map out some torque to save the box a bit... Just a bit of advice from someone thats been there and done it, think carefully on your next steps mate, there is a certain bhp/ torque figure you can go to, that the car will still be reliable, driveable, useable, and only costing a small fortune... the next step is a big one costing a big fortune, your talking AROUND 4K plus labour for gearbox and clutch, Not worth it in my opinion. If your engine is not forged you be best to stay around 380bhp max

You do need to shorten the prop by about 58mm i think from memory or get an auto one from a breakers, think they're about £100

[quote author=KENC link=topic=19762.msg241154#msg241154 date=1260314497]
JP i think using the 5spd prop can be a lot of hassle, and maybe even need to be shortend as 6spd box is longer.. plus if he uses 5spd prop with 6spd rear diff, think you have to change flange or widen out holes.
Best option is, to try get everything from one donor car.. 6spd diff, prop, box, gear linkage, starter. thats route i took anyway. and i highly recomend using the 6spd flywheel, that way you can use an exedy stage 1 clutch, they are not harsh and able for loads more than the 5spd stage one. something like 500 to 550 ftlbs torque whereas a 5spd stage one is not really happy at 400ftlbs
I think you will be alright Mark, think you are still running 2ltr, so you arent going to have 400 ftlbs on a 20g, probably hopefully, max i would think of somewher between 300 to 340 ftlbs, anyway a good mapper can map out some torque to save the box a bit... Just a bit of advice from someone thats been there and done it, think carefully on your next steps mate, there is a certain bhp/ torque figure you can go to, that the car will still be reliable, driveable, useable, and only costing a small fortune... the next step is a big one costing a big fortune, your talking AROUND 4K plus labour for gearbox and clutch, Not worth it in my opinion. If your engine is not forged you be best to stay around 380bhp max
[/quote]

yeah im still running the 2 litre shortblock. Would i still need to change the gearbox and diff for around 380bhp? I was thinking of getting either the md321h or sc42 turbo

[quote author=Niallyboy link=topic=19762.msg241038#msg241038 date=1260295678]
................ I love the sound but in-car you'd nearly want Head Phones for a long drive :dontknow:

Niall.
[/quote]
Hi Niall its uasually 1-4 on 5spd and 1-4 or 5th on 6 speed AFAIK for long distance driving ud have a gear with no whine :thumbsup:

[quote author=al-hks link=topic=19762.msg241234#msg241234 date=1260372288]
[quote author=Niallyboy link=topic=19762.msg241038#msg241038 date=1260295678]
................ I love the sound but in-car you'd nearly want Head Phones for a long drive :dontknow:

Niall.
[/quote]
Hi Niall its uasually 1-4 on 5spd and 1-4 or 5th on 6 speed AFAIK for long distance driving ud have a gear with no whine :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Have to agree..........you can live with the whine..... :icon_grin: :icon_grin:

I dont think you will have any need, you would want to be hitting the 400/400 point, you are not going to be near that torque with the 2ltr

[quote author=KENC link=topic=19762.msg241320#msg241320 date=1260394103]
I dont think you will have any need, you would want to be hitting the 400/400 point, you are not going to be near that torque with the 2ltr
[/quote]

I will aim for 370-380 bhp to be safe, hopefully the gearbox will last at that power level :pray:

Thanks Ken :thumbsup:

Mark

Back