Icy B4

Stevie3000

Sunday Drivers
Evenin' folks, i'm lookin to upgrade the standard double din and front speakers in my BE5 B4 which are... well... basic to be polite!

I've got a nice Pioneer single din in mind (would love a double but they far exceed my spending power!), anyone know where I can source a pocket to fill the gap? Halfords do universal ones for around €20 but not sure if they'll fit?

On the speaker front, any ideas on the max depth speaker that can fit the legacys front pods without extensions being built. Looking at the following: http://www.audiogearreviews.com/reviews/speakers/review-Focal_Access_165_a1.asp

I've also got an old sub and amp which i'm gonna throw in the boot, just wondering if i'll get better sound from the front speakers if wired to the amp instead of the head unit?
Cheers :thumbsup:

Easy answer to your question about the speakers in the front sounding better off an amp / head unit is:
they sound alot clearer off the amp to be honest.

HOWEVER it depends on the amp and the cableing you use.... Also depends how high the gain is on the amp you intend to use....
Lower gain means a cleaner smoother signal = less distortion
when looking at speakers dont look at the peak power rating.... Ask for a RMS rating
Peak power is like a flash fire.... It will get to that peak intensity but it wont be sustained..... once it hits that peak figure it falls away very quickly and you will bew left disappointed.

Hope this is helpful

You can get a good deal in halfords these days. 6x9's wont fit in the legacy tho unless you modify the pocket. I got the speakers just smaller all round, drilled the tweeters into the back door for high pitch and then a sub in the boot.

Still have the standard radio in it and it does grand. Get a great bass noise in the legacy because there is sound deadening i think

Good luck with it :thumbsup:

Any car I have had any sort of sound system in so far has had
Full range Front speakers run off amp
Mid range rear speakers run off amp
ported / sealed sub in boot run off serious amp

No real need for full range in back of car as high frequencys travel from the front without too much bother......

That has been the same weather i built a SPL sound system or a SQ sound system

Back