HELP!

Stevie3000

Sunday Drivers
Lads,

Having the car mapped on Sat by JGM. I reckon my clutch is starting to slip so I emailed Simon to give him a heads up... just got back to me there saying that he can't map a car with a slipping clutch :angry1:

Question is, does anyone know anyone that could take a look at the car tomorrow to determine if the clutch is on the way out and if it is, can they fit a new one? Very short notice I know but I really don't want to have to drive at a snails pace until he's over again!

There's also a fuelpump and panel filter to be fitted.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers :thumbsup:

How do you reckon it is starting to slip? Are the revs getting higher and the speed isn't?

Where are you based?

Steve.

Yea, when changing gear (especially from 3rd to 4th & 4th to 5th) with the clutch completely depressed, the revs rise slightly (couple of hundred rpm)... must be the clutch? Thought it may have been my driving but went out last night and it definately isn't!

B4 Soon suggested that I release the clutch in 1st as normal, bring the car to about 15-20mph, change into 4th and floor it. tried this and all seemed ok - revs & speed were increasing, albeit very slowly!

I'm based in the South Dublin area but WILL travel to get this sorted.

Cheers :icon_grin:

when mine was slipping the revs would shoot up in 1st from about a 1000 to 4000 im not sure if its jumping only a few 100 rpm that its the clutch.just a guess though :ponder:

... just got a PM from someone there guys saying they tried to ring me but dunno who it's from and I can't reply as i'm not a full member (yet!)...

Mobile 086 068 3898.

Cheers,

Steve :icon_grin:

May be reading it wrong but the revs rise when you press the clutch in? If thats the case, then you're probably not getting off the accelerator fasst enough. You would know the clutch was slipping if you were in 4th gear accelerating hard and the revs shot up without and then settled back down. The revs wouldnt shoot up if you accelerated gently though. Happened to me a while back, pain in the arse

@ Aido, sorry man... didn't realise it was you!

Rang him there but was no answer, i'll giv it a bit and try again in a while.

@ Sweetcakes: yea it's with the clutch depressed/and when releasing (not under hard acceleration either)... i'm pretty sure it's not the driving but hope i'm not wrong! Seems to be more of a rise as I go through the gears ie pretty non existant in 1st... then when changing into 5th, jumps bout 500 rpm or so...

Doesn't sound like the clutch then, well to me it doesnt anyway. You would know it was the clutch when accelerating hard through the high torque band and the revs jump about 1500-2000 revs and then fall back down again because the clutch cant handle the torque so it slips. This wouldnt happen as you press and release the clutch. Sounds like a different problem.

For example, if you are in 4th at 3000rpm, take your foot off the accelerator so you are just cruising in gear, then you press the clutch and it jumps 500rpm, is this whats happening?

Yea, unfortunately i'm not too technical, will defo get a 2nd opinion... it's a BE5 B4. Just got it on Tues there, really hope I don't have to replace the clutch on top of a map and installing mods :sad:

If you still want to meet up tonight about the backbox, then I can go for a spin with you. I'm no expert mechanic by any means but it might help to have someone else see whats happening for a different perspective :thumbsup:

If your clutch is on the way out-the "biting point" will be very high. When you let up the clutch how much is it up before the car moves?

Ok lads, you'll have to bear with me here - car mechanics is definately not my forte :dontknow:

I'm gonna buzz out to Scoobymaniac tonight for a second opinion as there seems to be considerable doubt that this is in fact my clutch going - hope it's not!

Cheers for all the help, great to have such strong support... i'll keep yez posted :thumbsup:

Back