BAD NEWS!

hego

Sunday Drivers
well, the engine went pop on the legacy friday 13th ha, its being investigated at the moment!
as mine is a 01 and i think i might have an engine, but its off a 99 auto will this ok, and will the ecu be ok or what would i need to do! its already mapped
thanks in advance

what kind of car is it?I am going to presume its a B4 in which case the engine os not the same..it runs slightly higher compression and smaller turbos.

really nuts! so what should i be looking at so? need as much info before i get it, as my ecu is already mapped will i need it mapped again once i get a diff one?

Yeah unfortunately you will need it mapped again, but you have the license so it should be cheaper, you could look at this as an opportunity to build a decent block to take big power, labor costs will be pretty much the same..I would speak to Dave @ STI tunning or Ali Burrows regarding a rebuild the auto engine would not Be a straight swap as far as I know but I'm no mechanic so wait and get that confirmed

really! thats very annoying! rebuild is a fortune, i dunno what to do, it will be with my original turbos anyway.
i'll give him ring and see, any more info would be great!

Well if your running orignal turbos no point in getting a forged build you wont gain any power, those turbos are maxed out at 1.25 bar which is within the capabiulties of the standard block, you migth be lucky and find a complete engine from a manual B4 in a breakers or dave may have one there..best to talk to a professional..another good man for advice is Ciaran from ASD automotive I don't know if he is doing rebuilds but I'm sure he would do a transplant for you if he has a block there, all the lads I mentioned are site traders and way more quailfied to speak.

thanks you've been very helpful. i think i'm sorted and happy all is good with the engine. its a rebuilt one already :icon_grin:
just hope it all goes well now and get the car back on the road asap

Sorry to hear that mate, heart breaking news seeing as you've only bought the thing. I'd agree with what dave said, get prices from as many people as you can and go from there. ECC are also engine builders so I'd enquire with them as well, it would be good to have as many prices as possible to ensure you're getting the best deal possible for yourself. Hope you get sorted soon :thumbsup:

@hego-that car is a rev-c so the engine is the same-and the engine youre getting is a great engine-i will vouch for it. And its the same engine as was in your car-it was the rev-d that was different

Very sorry for your troubles man, Hope you get her sorted soon as she's a lovely car :thumbsup:

[quote author=AndyC link=topic=19356.msg237196#msg237196 date=1258490143]
I dont believe this. Thats my old car.
[/quote]

goes back to debate we where having about "clean" cars..bodywork means fcuk all at the end of the day..a dent or scratch won't stop you driving to work and shelling out 1000' for a gearbox and now a rebuild. Not your fault but Andy you did everything you could with that car and couldn't have known the engine was fcuked

Well said Dagnut... have to agree... as i have said many times the word
minter is used on this site all to often when cars are being sold without
anyone ever seeing or knowing anything about them.. it can happen to
any car and anybody at anytime... my own father drives like a little oul
dear yet he had a conrod go through the sump on his 04 x-trail with full
service history and only 50k on the clock.

[quote author=Dagnut link=topic=19356.msg237246#msg237246 date=1258498084]
Not your fault but Andy you did everything you could with that car and couldn't have known the engine was fcuked
[/quote]

Engine was fine when I sold it, fully serviced, all new belts, plugs, engine and diff oils etc etc.

Im really disappointed for Hego. I spent so much money on that car Im still scratching my head why the engine failed. Same engine in my Type R for last 4 years and thats just since I originally owned it. Who knows it could still be the original engine in it. Makes you think how I have been so lucky and other people are on second and third engines.

Very sorry to hear about your troubles lad, hope you get it sorted and back on the road ASAP. She's one nice leggy. :subaru:

Steve.

well all, have sourced a lovely engine for it, it was rebuilt recently enough and has had a top job done to it. just needs to be fitted now, so should be back on the road soon!
bloody thing nearly broke my heart, was annoying to see it go like that. still looking through the engine to see, mechanic thinks it could have been brewing for awhile but just not detected.

Back