Boosting Issue

Mark Cahill

Full ISDC Members 2015Member Number 555
Just started happening today. Car is holding back a bit when accelerating. The needle on the boost gauge is down at -.4 were its usually at about -.1 in the vac. I've checked hoses to see if i can find anything but all seems good and the dump valve doesn't seem to be leaking boost either. I had no option but to drive through a puddle earlier, could that have anything to do with it? I've seen the gauge low like that before but usually if you accelerated hard it would level itself out again but nothing so far today. It could all be just a bit of paranoia but thought it would be best to ask anyway.

Does a dodgy MAF always give the jumping revs? Theres nothing like that with the car. Last night the Vac dropped right down to -1 for about ten minutes on idle then went back to the -.2 that it usually idles at before i noticed the hesitation. It is a mechanical gauge so it could well be on its way out itself perhaps. :ponder2:

[quote author=markobucko link=topic=19273.msg236287#msg236287 date=1258133740]
check the air filter is dry!!!!
my initial guess would be the air flow meter!!
:ponder2: :ponder2:
[/quote]

If it was the air flow meter you would get a chech engine light on the dash..!
Is this the case...??

I'd had a mild hesitation on boost so I took all the boost solenoid pipes of and cleaned them out with carb cleaner..you'd be surprised the amount of gunk that builds up in there..sorted the problem..I did the same for golden john and he nmoticed an improvement

[quote author=Dagnut link=topic=19273.msg237394#msg237394 date=1258555786]
I'd had a mild hesitation on boost so I took all the boost solenoid pipes of and cleaned them out with carb cleaner..you'd be surprised the amount of gunk that builds up in there..sorted the problem..I did the same for golden john and he nmoticed an improvement
[/quote]

Is that a hard job Dave or just a matter of pulling the pipes off and spraying the cleaner into them?? :ponder:

@Daktorian, no check light at all :thumbsup:

Is the low vac figure at idle and if so is at low because the car is idling lower than usual? could be water in filter....some gauges can be a bit over dramatic aswell

Back