Tappets

KudzSTi

Petrolheads
Hi Folks, my tappets have been noisey over the last while, i changed the oil today and flushed the engine while i was doing so, the last oil i used was Motul 300v 15 50 and i went back to GTX Magnatec 10 40 as the tappets were quieter on it. now the tappets are really loud and i just feel like burning the car out :( , some one said u can get an oil additive that costs 80 euro for a small bottle that should solve the problem yet i am a bit scepticle. does anyone have any insight into what i can do with this.. when the car is in high revs the tappin goes out of it but lately it seems to still be there, sometimes the noise is there and sometimes it isnt.if replacement is the only option does anyone no how much it costs  :cry: :dunno:

thanks a mill
John

Is it possible to have the tappet clearance adjusted on the EJ20? Jut an idea?

[quote author=AndyC link=topic=2178.msg19917#msg19917 date=1177786573]
Is it possible to have the tappet clearance adjusted on the EJ20? Jut an idea?
[/quote]

Hi Andy cheers for the reply, afaik the setup on the ej20 is hydraulic

i'd be careful putting loads additives in or wrong oil.. assume its an early model car..

best solution be v3-v4 heads..  pref sti  but wrx be fine...  

[quote author=davelegacy link=topic=2178.msg19920#msg19920 date=1177787726]
i'd be careful putting loads additives in or wrong oil.. assume its an early model car..

best solution be v3-v4 heads..  pref sti  but wrx be fine... 
[/quote]

Hi Dave, its a 1997 Jap STi V3, i am back to using the magnatec now , do u have any idea how much the heads would cost or would i be better of just replacing the shims/buckets

Thanks a mill
John

not as common them been tappety as early so just assumed..

my bad...

Overhaul really only solution... but massive job/bill

wouldn't go that far now to say that..,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

its engine out, heads off and overhaul heads, then new head gaskets and back in..

but being that far into strip if your planning on keep car long while be best to spilt block and stick in new big and main end bearings and check pistons etc etc..

new seals etc etc..

but regards the tappet noise wrecking your head i'd advise drive her on as tappets aren't terminal...

thanks for the advice dave, i will have to hit my friends at the bank and see if they want me to get it done LOL :subaru:

hi kudz,sorry to here your problem,in your first post you said you changed the oil and flushed the engine while doing so, what do you mean by,flushed the engine,ive never heard of that b4.thanks

hi Johnny, i got engine flush outta the motor factors, it clears all the sludge out if the engine and helps keep it good

hope this helps

John

I guess it's too late now but you definately shouldn't use engine flush on a scoob . True , it does dislodge muck build-up in the engine but all the muck doesn't drain out & simply lodges somewhere else , maybe blocking an oil gallery . There have been a number of cases of big end failure after using engine flush on a scoob . It can also lead to oil leaks as the sludge has been helping the oil seals do their job .

If you really want to clean your engine internally drain the oil & refill with a good diesel engine oil . It contains more detergents than petrol oil & will clean out some of the gunge whilst still providing good lubrication but is not as aggressive as the engine flush . I've done this on every car I've owned & it's never caused a problem . I leave the diesel oil in for a few days & then chane the oil & filter to the normal oil .

Back