Electrical Fault

Dagnut

Octane Boostaholics
Have problem with my car, it was sitting up for 7 days while I had the company car, one of the lads tried to start it while I was away to move and said he got a clicking nooise..I just presumed he hadn't demobilized it using the alarm, I went over yesterday started it with a booster pack and it ran fine...it sat outside work then for a few more hours and I need to jump it, after I jumped it I noticed the lights flicking and the dash lights pulsing. I drove it around for a bit presuming I juts need to get some charge into the battery..same symptoms again..
I don't think it can be another aletnartor..I have done less then 2k kilometers on the current one, plus I didn't get the warning light I got the previous times the alternator failed on me...when i was driving it but ,every so often the ABS light would flash first time Ive ever seen that?..brakes seemed fine but. So I drove for about 20 minutes came back and sat up in my car park with the engine running trying to get some charge into the battery..the lights still flicking..turned it off tried the key again and absolutely nothing...could it be just completely dead battery thats been leaking charge or a major electrical fault somewhere?

check the battery with a volt meter when the car is turned off should read 12 v or more then turn the lights on leaving the car off and see how much of a voltage drop there is then should only drop to 10 v at the lowest after 30 seconds or so . probably change the battery if it's being in it a while and see how it goes then

Thanks, Battery is only in it about a year I'l see if I can get it changed under warranty

Does sound like a battery fault or as scruff said a loose connection.

As they say a battery isn't like a good wine, they don't get better with age :lol:

But if its only a year old maybe it'll be covered under warranty. I've had batteries go bad inside 6 months depending on use :dontknow:

[quote author=Scoobymaniac link=topic=19086.msg234035#msg234035 date=1257331575]
Does sound like a battery fault or as scruff said a loose connection.

As they say a battery isn't like a good wine, they don't get better with age :lol:

But if its only a year old maybe it'll be covered under warranty. I've had batteries go bad inside 6 months depending on use :dontknow:
[/quote]

Yeah been through a few myself, the problem is the car doesnt get a lot of use a does a lot of short runs so it could be the cause of it

battery is fooked dave!!!!
altenator only tops up a charge on a battery...
try putting the battery on a slow mains charger for 8 hours or more and that should sort it...
happened to mine when car sat for 2 months...everytime i jumped it ,i drove for 20 mins and when i turned it off it wouldnt start again!!!
worst case scenario is new battery
abs ,airbag and traction lights may flash on and off if system runs below 12 volts while driving!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

[quote author=markobucko link=topic=19086.msg234105#msg234105 date=1257347502]
try putting the battery on a slow mains charger for 8 hours or more and that should sort it...
happened to mine when car sat for 2 months...everytime i jumped it ,i drove for 20 mins and when i turned it off it wouldnt start again!!!
abs ,airbag and traction lights may flash on and off if system runs below 12 volts while driving!!!
[/quote]

Cheers mark I'm gonna blag one on warranty from Halfrauds

[quote author=Dagnut link=topic=19086.msg234113#msg234113 date=1257349122]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Hope you have your orginal receipt or they will more than likely not take it Dave...

[quote author=hiwd link=topic=19086.msg234121#msg234121 date=1257352144]
[quote author=Dagnut link=topic=19086.msg234113#msg234113 date=1257349122]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Hope you have your orginal receipt or they will more than likely not take it Dave...
[/quote]

Have it there alright

Had the exact same problems and symptoms a while back Dave after mine had been sitting up for about a month. Bought a new battery and its been grand since.

buy varta batteries they last well while sitting up
some cheaper batteries arent very good
also some batteries can be sitting in places for a good while before installed
also the correct battery for your car is important

Back