advice needed

johnb4

Middle Lane Hogs
hey lads i have a bit of a problem,

my altenator and ac belts went yesterday so off i want and get 2 new belts

fit them in a few mins. oh and thanks to scoobymaniac for the advice cheers man :thumbsup:

the problem is that when i drove it this morning for about ten mins to go to trhe shop when i parked it up i noticed

smoke coming from engine bay and i have noticed a small leak coming from somewhere it is a green fluid

has anybody and idea what the problem could be

yeah marko its down near radiator its right down the bottom of the engine bay

is i much of hassle to fix......... and would this cause the smoke :ponder2:

Sounds like your radiator has packed up and the smoke would the anti-freeze
hitting your exhaust(other hot part of your engine).
Not much fun i know but its a new radiator will be needed.
If you wanna save a few bob a second rad might the way to go.
Givin it a good flushing out before putting it on.

It could be the radiator but I'd check the bottom Rad hose first, a pin hole can leak a fair bit of coolant under pressure :thumbsup:

think i fixed the problem lads. there was a small leak from a small pipe right under the bottom of rad i was cleaning parts of the belt that got stuck on the clips and when i went to take it off i open the clip a bit........
everything seems to be fine now but will give it a good run tomorrow and see how it goes

might be a stupid question but what would be the best to put into header tank......

coolant or anti freeze or are the two the same thing :dontknow:

AFAIK coolant is basically just antifreeze and water mixed, different ratios for summer and winter.

Anti freeze and coolant serve the same purpose but anti freeze is shite and rots out eninges and rads... anti freeze was replaced by coolant long time ago and some makes of cars use a specific type of coolant.. identified by colour.. toyota use red and vw i think use a blue or green..Think Subaru just use the general coolant... just top it up with drop of water.. wouldnt add more than 1 litre do, if it needs more than that, get some coolant

Anti-freeze/water mix doesn't raise the boiling point whereas coolant is perfect for summer of winter driving. Most coolant DO NOT mix with water as this will reduce the boiling point.

cheers lads so i can run it with water yeah and if putting coolant in i would have to empty the header tank.....would water be ok for the winter months :thumbsup:

If it was me I'd add some anti-freeze over the winter, Pure water could run the risk of freezing and cracking your Rad, Heads and anything else :thumbsup:

Myself i would consider anti freeze to be obsolete, it doesnt come in cars from factory.. your car John will have coolant in it,therefore thats what i would top it back up with, but in only a small amount water would be grand..
you dont have to empty the header tank to put coolant in as thats whats in her already, you can by coolant in litre bottles

If the car has been serviced since new then it may or may not have an anti-freeze mixture in the system as some garages do use anti-freeze mixtures
Best off just draining the entire system and filling up with PURE coolant only, then he'll know what's in it :thumbsup:

Back