Engine Cleaner

gc8aido

Petrolheads
Anyone know an oil that clears away small build of oil (sludge) but very minor in the engine?

Im doing a mini job over the weekend on a friends car and with the oil being manky black and

in desperate need of a change, i thought that it couldnt hurt to use some cleaner if there is such a thing??

Any recomended brands or products? Cheers

You can get a a degreaser in Halfords made by 3 in 1, Its great stuff, but if its thick sludge oil then you'll need something stronger. I'd use petrol (if safe to do so) :thumbsup:

3in1-degreaser.jpg

Think he means inside the engine Phil, but maybe Aido will clarify?

If its inside then there are plenty of engine flushes available, slick 50 is a well known brand but there might be better ones that just aren't marketed quite as well :thumbsup:

Don't know how accurate but I've been told that most of that sludge can come out once the oil is hot because it will flow easier and carry the sludge with it. Just be careful of your hands and have a suitable container at the ready

[quote author=STi Brian link=topic=18998.msg233023#msg233023 date=1256913475]

If its inside then there are plenty of engine flushes available, slick 50 is a well known brand but there might be better ones that just aren't marketed quite as well :thumbsup:
[/quote]

:icon_redface: Reading it again, I think your right Brain.

Motul do an engine flush

motul_engine_clean.jpg

MOTUL ENGINE CLEAN is designed to be used in all types of Petrol and Diesel engines with injection or carburettor(s), with or without catalytic converter, using all kind of fuel.

MOTUL ENGINE CLEAN effectively cleans dirtying and clogging which appear in the engine. The removed microparticles are then evacuated at the time of the oil drain. MOTUL ENGINE CLEAN provides a perfect lubrication during cleaning process.

[quote author=STi Brian link=topic=18998.msg233023#msg233023 date=1256913475]
[/quote]

yeah sorry lads i meant inside but was also looking for what Phil suggested too!! :thumbsup:

I thought that already Robbie but just wanted to make sure everything was flushed as it is filthy!

I might try that click 50 gear or if can get hands on Motul even better!!

Any ideas where can pick up that motul stuff tomorrow?

Do you throw it in after youve put in the new oil or just before your gonna drain the old stuff? :ponder2: :dontknow:

Thanks lads!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

alright Aido you put it in before you change the oil, get the oil up to tepeture and knock the car off add the cleaner
and start the car laeave it ticking over dont rev it at all for about 15 mins then drain the oil, i have used this on one
of my cars before but i have heard it can damage the engine by deoxidising the engine or something tecnical like that :lol:
but i could be wrong about that as its only hear say but worth looking into, oil can be pipeing hot so be carefull :hammerhead:
pic of my finger for ilustration :lol: :thumbsup:
070.jpg

This thread has turned into a horror story :lol:

As Gar has said the directions are:
Before each oil drain, add, in the engine, a can of ENGINE CLEAN to hot used oil. Let the engine run at
idle for 15 minutes. Drain the oil and change the filter.
The content of one can is sufficient for an oil capacity up to 5 litres. For higher capacities, 60 ml of
ENGINE CLEAN is to be added per supplementary litre of engine oil (over 5 litres) . Do not exceed the
recommended proportion. If necessary, proceed to 2 successive treatments.
Combined with DIESEL SYSTEM CLEAN or FUEL SYSTEM CLEAN, ENGINE CLEAN provides a very
appreciable reduction of pollutants emissions to pass Vehicle Inspection.

This will NOT cause any damage to ANY engine, Motul claim it lubricates during cleaning. And the any oil has rust (oxidation) inhibitors, so unless you plan on leaving the engine with no oil in it for a long period of time then you'll be fine :thumbsup:

Cheap oil does the job aswell

Empty the used oil out of it..... Put the sump plug back in and put in crapy oil.....

start engine for about 1 min without reving

Empty that oil out.... The viscosity of the crappy oil should pull any gunk out of the engine.....

Neil

pic of my finger for ilustration :lol: :thumbsup:
070.jpg

OUCH. bet you filled the swear box after that :lol:

:smokin:

:lol: I went trough them all in alphabetical order then there was a couple of jesus's
mammys and a bit of a jig :lol: actualy got about 4 fingers but the tumb got it worse :hammerhead:

Do engine flush's not get rid of the carbon build up inside an engine that helps to prevent leaks?? :ponder2:

I was told that before by a mechanic i know so never bothered with them. Perhaps its just cheap quality flush's. :thumbsup:

[quote author=Mark Cahill link=topic=18998.msg233218#msg233218 date=1256983467]
Do engine flush's not get rid of the carbon build up inside an engine that helps to prevent leaks?? :ponder2:

I was told that before by a mechanic i know so never bothered with them. Perhaps its just cheap quality flush's. :thumbsup:
[/quote]

The carbon build up your talking about is in the combustion chamber and on the piston. :thumbsup:

Back