Lock nut key

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
So think i lost my lock nut key, need to get my newly painted wheels back on the car. i could order a new key but i dont have the patience to wait! Can the lock nuts be gotten off without damaging the wheels? dont care about the nuts i can buy a new set

Yeah most tyre places have the equipment to remove them, although you'd need to place some amount of trust in them not to damage your wheels.

I lost my key before too & Ciaran removed my lock nuts for me.

Id say you could have trouble there without ordering a new key,
its a long shot but someone with the same make nuts there key might fit
or you could try a gator grip :thumbsup:

if u crack off the thin outter case
good set of vise grips will remove
seen it done a few times.
but mind the wheels.

well i suppose once the wheels dont get too badly damaged, they are my spare set anyway! The place right next door to Tallaght Powder coating got a new tyre fitting setup so hopefully they can get them off for me! They are McGard lock nuts so i have a code to get a replacement made up, each key is suppose to me unique so in theory no two sold should ever be the same fit, but would take about 6 weeks to order up

Hi dan,
I had the same problem after a track day last year,
I lost my lock nut key in the paddock somewhere!
Any way, what you need to do is go to woodies or B&Q or one of them and buy yourself a 12 sided socket probably around 19mm that is just a little bit to tight to fit over the lock nut, ie. if the 20mm fits over snuggly then the 19mm will be perfect,
Beat it on to the lock nut with a hammer so that it is really tight, stick in your socket wrench and remove the nut,
You'll have to buy 4 sockets, because once they go on, they aint coming off!
Best of luck man
Dan

taken hundreds of them off over the years !!!!
a mate of mine in ashbourne has a great kit for removing them!!!
alot of tyre places wont take the chance on damaging your alloys!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I know where sells sockets for removing lock nuts :icon_rolleyes: but i'll pm you the name instead, just incase :thumbsup:

nice one, got a lock nut remover but seems like it either doesnt fit or you need an impact wrench to torque it off. oh the joys!

left the car up to advance pitstop and gave them the lock nut removal tool and they couldnt get them off! Looks like im going to have to order the replacement key from Mcgards, any other way and ill only damage the wheel/hub/nut/lug! Anyone know how long it takes for keys to arrive?

got the only lock nut wheel remover thing they had in Halfords and its muck, you need to reverse thread it onto the wheel nut and then twist it off. its too big for my wheel nut

Post up a pic of your nuts! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Your lock nuts that is, You dirty bas*ard! :lol:

Did you try beating a socket on to one?? I got 4 genuine subaru lock nuts off in about an hour with them! and a power bar! :icon_biggrin:

Sure come on over to me, and we'll have them off in no time, seriously if you are around naas, or fancy a spin!
Dan

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=18309.msg225101#msg225101 date=1254242038]
left the car up to advance pitstop and gave them the lock nut removal tool and they couldnt get them off! Looks like im going to have to order the replacement key from Mcgards, any other way and ill only damage the wheel/hub/nut/lug! Anyone know how long it takes for keys to arrive? [/quote]

we sell these at work and have had to order a few of these
should take about a week :icon_redface:
its got terrible slow
sure if you need any help ordering them give me a shout :thumbsup:
hope no one thinks i am advertising or taking away from the dealers here- just trying to help :thumbsup:

john

have it ordered up now lads, wasnt arsed trying any of the brute force methods! will just have to put up with stock wheels on the car for another week or so!. must take the new wheels out of the boot though. only slowing me down. Still an X6 beater off the lights though! :subaru:

Back