Is it worth installing a turbo timer?

Colm Mc

Sunday Drivers
Yes is the simple answer I suppose! Anything that allows the turbo to cool better will surely help prolong the life of the turbo & the oil.

As far as I know, the turbo is also water cooled (I could be wrong here) so it should drop in temperature pretty quickly. What time do most people set them for, about 1-2mins?

Are they difficult to install in a Classic Impreza?

What are the recommended brands?

Or you could just take it handy for the last few km's before you get home to let the turbo cool down. I have a clifford turbo timer in mine and the great thing is that it has to be primed before it will kick in.

Most people have either an add on to their clifford alarms like robbie above or use the greddy, apexi or blitz turbo timers. Most set them around 2 mins but as robbie said above if you just drive her off boost for a few mins before you reach your destination it does the same thing.

They are easy to install but also a security risk IMO. As I fit alarms I know that aftermarket turbo timers can interfere with your alarm setting ie you have to wait till its timer is run out and the engine is off to set the alarm also its an easier way to steal a car. I'd recommend what robbie has :thumbsup:

I have a blitz one and i never use it to be honest. Just take it a bit handier for the last couple of kms or let it idle a bit after a fast run. I found it dangerous because i always park with the car 2nd gear and had a couple of close ones when i completely forgot about the timer and turned off the engine and released the clutch at the same time..........off she took on me.....so for that reason i leave it turned off. Just a matter of what you're used to i suppose......... :thumbsup:

Mine stays running for 2mins after I turn it off its a feature of the alarm as above with other members. One thing I noticed is the water temperture gets very high during those 2mins running, you can hear the fan kicking in and stays in until car shuts off. Dont know does high water temp. effect the engine in anyway.

I have mine on the auto setting. Will judge itself how long it needs to stay running. By taking it handy through my housing estate it stays on for maybe 5 or 10 seconds. Will be more if driven on a bit.

Also handy for leaving the car running on cold mornings in the driveway without the keys in it!!

[quote author=eliroche link=topic=18205.msg223703#msg223703 date=1253776634]
Also handy for leaving the car running on cold mornings in the driveway without the keys in it!!
[/quote]

Thats what remote start is for, means you don't have to leave the house until absolutely necessary :icon_biggrin:

I use the Turbo timer as a way to leave the car running without the keys in it if im making a very quick trip into the shop... Dont like restarting all the time!!! So if i can leave it run for the 3 mins im in the shop i will.....

Saves me time in an already hecktic time squeezed life.....

[quote author=Hammie link=topic=18205.msg223721#msg223721 date=1253786168]
I use the Turbo timer as a way to leave the car running without the keys in it if im making a very quick trip into the shop... Dont like restarting all the time!!! So if i can leave it run for the 3 mins im in the shop i will.....

[/quote]

i did that once and when i got back to the car there was a guard standing there accusing me of abandoning my vehicle..took me 10 minutes to explain to him what a turbo timer was

[/quote]

Does that mean you then leave your doors open while you go in to the shop?

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=18205.msg223725#msg223725 date=1253789072]

[/quote]

Does that mean you then leave your doors open while you go in to the shop?
[/quote]
Another advantage of the clifford remote start is the short stop option, you hit the button
remove the keys and it stays running, but you can set your alarm, and if someone does try
anything the alarm activation will shut the car down, my own is set for 15 mins but can be
adjusted, and if i just want to turbo time it i can also set the alarm while its cooling down :thumbsup:

Nope never leave the car unlocked unless im either in it (before i move off) or standing by the door.....
Car is locked and runs on turbo timer..... Had a guard ask me "did i think it was safe to leave my car running whilst unattended". I told him it was safe as houses and asked him to try the doors.... He looked puzzled and tried to open it... He was even more puzzled when i pulled the keys out of my pocket and unlocked the doors... I asked him to try to move the car while i had the keys!! He got in and put it in gear... released the handbrake and car automatically shut down.
I explained it to him briefly and he asked could he get sumthin like that for his own car (Lotus Esprit)...... I told him i wasnt sure if it would work on all cars and told him to search the internet....

He walked off with a huge smile on his stupid lookin face

From a thread on driver before about these the general consensus was they aren't needed modern turbo's will be clear of oil within 10-20 seconds according to tdp..also someone made the point it is actually illegal to leave your car running without you inside so technically its illegal to use a turbo timer..don't know how true that is but

Thats alright so... Was just thinking that in the 3 minutes you were in the shop, the scumbags would have the whole interior stripped and sold on ebay :lol:

I have one fitted myself. But i read a thread on here before which opened my eyes a little.

Correct me if I'm wrong but i think Davelegacy made the point - it can be dangerous to have a turbo timer fitted to your car. If you have set your turbo timer for say 2 mins and you have an accident (god forbid) your engine won't shut off, even when the keys are taken from the ignition.

I know people think it will never happen to them, but that is a seriously dangerous situation - its not as if any passer-by will know what the timer under your steering wheel is for, never mind how to turn it off. I do still use mine, but I ensure to turn it off every time I start the car.

Back