Cork Phone Call

J

JohnyB

An American decided to write a book about famous churches around the world.For his first chapter he decided to write about famous Irish
cathedrals.So he bought a plane ticket and made the trip to Dublin , thinking that he would work his way around Ireland.On his first day he was inside a church taking photographs when he noticed a golden telephone mounted on the wall with a sign that read EUR10,000 per call.
The American, being intrigued, asked a priest who was strolling by what the telephone was used for. The priest replied that it was a
direct line to heaven and that for EUR10,000 you could talk to God.The American thanked the priest and went along his way.

Next stop was in Waterford . There, at a very large cathedral, he saw the same golden telephone with the same sign under it. He wondered if this was the same kind of telephone he saw in Dublin and he asked a nearby nun what its purpose was. She told him that it was a direct line to heaven and that for EUR10,000 he could talk to God. O.K., thank you, said the American.

He then travelled to Kilkenny, Kerry, Limerick and Athlone and in every church he saw the same golden telephone with the same EUR10,000
per call sign under it.With his first chapter going well, he left Galway and travelled down the country to Cork, and again at his first stop at the Church in Cork , there was the same golden telephone, but this time the sign under it read 10c per call.

The American was surprised so he asked the priest about the sign.Father, I have travelled all over Ireland , and I have seen this same
golden telephone in many cathedrals and churches. I am told that it is a direct line to heaven, but in the rest of the country
the price was EUR10,000 per call.Why is it so cheap here?

The priest smiled and answered,

You're in Cork now my son......... it's a Local call...Boy!!!

Back