Brake setup questions

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
so doing a bit of research into the brake setup on these Legacy's and the most cost effective ways to improve the stopping power of the car overall.
the car has 2 floating pot calipers on the front with a 315mm disc and 293mm on the rear. and that they are only bettered by the Brembo calipers off the STI, wrx four pots arent as good since they use a smaller disc and 4 fixed pistons

so im looking at new pads all round, new brake fluid.im also considering new braided lines all around too to start with.

Has anyone on here changed to new braided lines and change nothing else, as ive heard they only improve brake pedal feel and do not actually provide any better stopping power.if there not coated and fail it can be more drastic then standard lines that would perish over time

I've heard some guys when changing pads and dont put the factory shims back on giving the brakes a better initial bite, anyone try this?

Also whats a decent brake fluid to go for? Motul RBF600?

Im full of questions today!

I changed to braided hoses before I did anything else and I didnt notice a huge difference initially, but that was only until I pushed it around a few corners. The braking remained consistant and this is because the hoses retain their shape. As the rubber hoses overheat under hard braking they become softer and then while you are trying to brake, the hot fluid causes the hose to expand rather than pushing the pad against the disk. I bought a set of goodridge braided hoses and I definitely think they're a worthwhile upgrade :thumbsup:

"the car has 2 floating pot calipers on the front with a 315mm disc and 293mm on the rear. and that they are only bettered by the Brembo calipers off the STI, wrx four pots arent as good since they use a smaller disc and 4 fixed pistons"

this is not true dan, i wouldnt say 2 pots can be better than 4 pots as 4 pots would have a lot more stopping power

disc size is a different issue as this only helps in two ways, heat distribution and then the bigger discs the bigger the brake pad which means better braking

if i were you i would change the lines to braided ones and the brake fliud to a better grade.i.e. dot 5.1 and change the pads to ebc yellow stuff or similar

on the road this would make a big improvement on the standard brakes, if then going on track i would think of up grading to sti 4 pots or brembos as you will never genarate the same heat on the road as you would on the track so no need

There is a good few lads on the legacygt club that have went for the Subaru 4 pots and and they said it was actually like downgrading the brakes instead, thats all im going off. maybe because the legacy's are heavier there arent as effective as on the impreza's. i was going to get a set of the 4 pots, but i think just new pads, lines and fluid all round would be enough for my type of driving which can be spirited at times. i'll still keep an eye out for a decent 2nd hand set of Brembo's or save up for a new set. they cost about 900 euro + shipping for new front calipers/pads/discs from US which i dont have at the minute

I noticed a big difference in my brakes,
Went from standard set on the B4 up to Subaru 4 pots - braided lines - redstuff pads.
Definite improvement in feeling and reduced fade, also pleasant on the eye!!!
I know its a different model but your more than welcome to have a shot, see what you think..

cheers for the offer. I think ill just go with new pads and lines all round and new fluid. Has anyone ever heard of ATE brake fluid or Hawk HPS pads? They seem to be popular with the Subaru lads stateside

Back