whirring/grinding noise gearbox/clutch

richiemac

Petrolheads
Just noticed lately when i come off the throttle in any gear i can hear a sort of faint grinding/ whirring noise from either gearbox or clutch. Seems to stop if i push in the clutch so i'm thinking maybe pressure plate/ release bearing ??? Car is driving perfectly , no clutch slip etc....Wonder could it be due to the extra grunt since the remap / extra power. Might need to upgrade the clutch ?? One of those annoying ones.......... Any thoughts ?? :dontknow:

Hi Richie,

Have you done any big launches since you got her mapped? Is it more so in 1st gear or is it in all 5?

rgds

Paddy

Most noticeable in 2nd and 3rd. Unless its just wear and tear. Did a track day back in april and fairly pushed it for a few laps , so maybe i damaged something. Car is only used weekends so maybe i just didn't notice until now. :dontknow:

hey lad wound not be too sure what ur problem is but i was told that when i go bigger power that it would eat the standard clutch and besids that mine has done 95k so has its share done

i have the same thing in my car! very noticeable in 2nd/3rd gear when i let off the accelerator ,especially at low revs ,and when i push the accelerator the noise stops, is that same as you have? ....its like a grinding bearing noise.
i think its something in the box because i have a new exedy clutch+flywheel. mines been doin it for the last year or more

Exactly that Tommy................maybe just milage/age etc. Just dont want any gremlins for the trackday :smile:

i know that ye mean ,i did a trackday and my car has gotten a good driving over the last year and that noise doesnt seem to be getting any worse ,not something thats worrying my at the min

I had a similar thing on the B4 (same gearbox as the UK classic afaik), was whining on let off in lower gears, especially second gear. Progressed to a crunch into third gear and eventually the diff let go. Don't know if the problems were related, but I was thinking that the possibility of the filings from the crunching gears could have fooke the diff up. That is a common prob on the B4's but whether or not its the same for the classic, I cant say

thats mad my legacy has started to make same noise when i let off the throttle
first i thought it was the wheels rubbing off the arches (similar sound)but today pressed clutch and noise stopped its very annoying its happening in 3rd 4th and 5th just went over 100000km last week had gearbox oil changed few months back.
any idea what could cost to get checked?repaired?

might get mine checked out anyway. I remember in my last impreza that when i put new tyres on either front or rear but not both together i used to get a similar noise. I just put 2 new on the front but the noise was there before thiat ? I reckon its a bearing myself , when you clutch in the pressure is coming off it and the noise stops, maybe i'm wrong. After the track day i might drop the lot out and investigate...................... :thumbsup:

[quote author=scoobyturbo link=topic=18043.msg222115#msg222115 date=1253230576]
first i thought it was the wheels rubbing off the arches (similar sound)but today pressed clutch and noise stopped its very annoying its happening in 3rd 4th and 5th just went over 100000km last week had gearbox oil changed few months back.
[/quote]

Cost of repair would only really be determined after opening the box to see whats wrong. You could try changing theoil again and putting in some additive. Check for any metal filings in the drained oil and you'll know if its on the way. You'll know if the diff goes as once you've been driving for 30mins or so, every turn you make will clunk but it drive perfect from cold (still cant explain that). If it does go, then I'd recommend getting a 5 speed impreza sti box and rear diff to match from a breakers for the extra strenght and it will probably cost you less than rebuilding your own.

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=18043.msg222127#msg222127 date=1253257963]
[quote author=scoobyturbo link=topic=18043.msg222115#msg222115 date=1253230576]
[/quote]

Cost of repair would only really be determined after opening the box to see whats wrong. You could try changing theoil again and putting in some additive. Check for any metal filings in the drained oil and you'll know if its on the way. You'll know if the diff goes as once you've been driving for 30mins or so, every turn you make will clunk but it drive perfect from cold (still cant explain that). If it does go, then I'd recommend getting a 5 speed impreza sti box and rear diff to match from a breakers for the extra strenght and it will probably cost you less than rebuilding your own.

i failed my nct and its says transmission cv boot unsecure wonder if that could be something to do with it im gona have a look at the weekend my car is breaking me just one thing after another
cheers for the info and advice
[/quote] :thumbsup:

Send ali burrows a pm richie, he gave myself and Mark (B4_RSK) unbeatable prices (ebay and flat4online included) on exedy organic clutches for the 6 speed and 5 speed respectively. Could not find them cheaper anywhere else :thumbsup:

Back