Possible engine problem!

F

forester sti

I would apprieciate any help or advise anyone can give me! I have a black 98 jap forester turbo auto for work (de-badged grill and lowered) that i could never bring myself to sell in favour of something sensible (deisel). the engine has never missed a beat untill today that is :cry: i was just over taking someone on the back road from newbridge to sallins (home) when she lost a bit of power on full throttle and when i let off there seemed to be a noticable metalic CLACK CLACK CLACK so nursed it to the side of the road to chech it out, bonnet up then the car i just overtook beeped, laughed and drove on :wall: any way she ticks over grand but when i revved she'd rev up ok but when i let off CLACK CLACK CLACK and if i rev and hold at say 2500 rpm it's constant CLACK CLACK CLACK etc. so any ideas? if I need a new engine, can any body recomend a course of action, also while i'm having work done i might consider putting manual 'box possibly dccd unit! any thoughts! i like the auto but it has'nt got the same street cred as a manual.
many thanks for any help!
Dan Byrne,

[edit] It's forum policy that only full members are allowed to sell Subaru related items here. Thank you. Pleas read the forum guidelines.

Paulo[/edit]

sure does sound like big ends......perfect symptoms, all will sound well on tick over and then when you rev it, it clatters like mad.... will also be noticeable when you start it from cold. :cry:

No i did'nt have it mapped. Ijust ran it on octane booster as advised by a crowd who used to be based in galway. she did have 135000km on the clock and she has never given trouble before! so I suppose i had it coming. Davelegacy has been in touch and came straight out to have a look at her for me and was very helpfull .( thanx dave) so i suppose I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and get her i new motor :cry:.
Thanks for your input lads!
dan.

Alright lads,I just wanted to let you know how I got on.
On monday evening davelegecy(byrne) called out with his pal and confirmed that my car was definately dead :cry:. Dave has a suitable engine for me but is to flat out at the moment so couldn't do the work for me for a few weeks ! problem is I need a car for work and the only other car i have the use of is a very non-road legal skyline (trackday car) . seeing the crap position i was in, he offered me his own scooby :shock: shocking (good that is). of course i didn't decline and now have his impreza in my driveway :lol:
I had never driven an impreza before just my forester t/b and the wife's 01 forster sti, I'm working in wicklow town at the moment so from sallins to ballymore and then over the wicklow gap is about an hour of great driving and a great opportunity to compare to two cars (forester sti and dave's car). acceleration wise they are more or less the same,main difference is having to change gear all the time cause our two are autos, there is just a bit more planing involved if you want to over take someone in the manual impreza but you get that dump valve between eack gear that you dont get with the auto cause she doesn't drop boost between gears but it's a novilty that is wearing off fairly lively though,
the brakes are all exactly the same sti v5 all round.
handling wise, the impreza does feel a bit more nimble i suppose dew to the type r suspension and being 70 odd kilos lighter so it seems to be very responsive mid corner eg. if i touch the brake mid corner the front end pulls in nicely and once you settle on to the power it just hunkers down and grips very well through the bend but a bump in the road mid bend seriously upsets her balance understeering a bit, i haven't tried braking into a corner yet but it feels like it would probably oversteer and I'm not up to exploring that side of it's handling.. by comparison the forester sti is more inclined to understeer but steering more still works very effectively. braking mid corner is much the same but it doesn't get upset near as much by mid corner bumps in the road i suppose dew to softer suspension and it doesn't quite have the level of grip the impreza has to spite bigger wheels and wider tyres but does seem more forgiving. I have a 2006 forester sti 2.5 on it's way from japan so I cant wait to see how that compares!

Either way they are both great cars and thanks again to davelegecy for trusting me with your car.

Unfortunate...but it sounds like it's in the hands of someone that knows something about them.

Did you rec. the noise on your phone or similar so we can hear it ?

I'll try record the noise for a laugh and post it up as soon as i can!
dan

[quote author=Michael Spec C link=topic=2040.msg19217#msg19217 date=1177137004]
Fair play Dave :clap:
[/quote]

Fair play... nice thing to do

sorry to hear about the engine

Dave nice one with the lend of scooby

now is this what this clubs supposed to be all about

Back