E5 v's E85

gonzogicker

Petrolheads
Stupid question maybe but what's the difference tween Maxol E5 and E85.I read E85 is 104 octane,so could it be used on a jdm impreza sti 1997 model? :ponder2:

Dont put E85 in your car.... :naughty:
You can use the E5 stuff no bother...its supposed to be 99 octane.... :thumbsup:

E85 is 85% ethanol and E5 is 5% ethanol.

E85 can only be used in the new flexi fuel cars as that amount of ethanol will make sh*t of your engine as it burns differant to petrol afaik, open to correction tho.

[quote author=sligo_dave link=topic=18031.msg221054#msg221054 date=1253043746]
E85 is 85% ethanol and E5 is 5% ethanol.

E85 can only be used in the new flexi fuel cars as that amount of ethanol will make sh1t of your engine as it burns differant to petrol afaik, open to correction tho.
[/quote]

Cheers you got me thinking by your earlier post,,,, :doh:

think ive read of a lot of issues in UK with e85, fuel rail problems etc etc.. think alot of stuff has to be changed to different material

You'd need huge injectors, huge fuel pump and She'd guzzle petrol and as lads have said, to many possible issues!
Stick with Maxol E5
Dan

Cheers Dan.Just looking at my options.I tend to experiment a bit sometimes :crazy:Its just E85 is no bother to buy local as i used to work where they make the ethanol.But E5 is almost extinct.Maybe i should bite the bullet and go for a remap. :think:

Good stuff if E85 is easy got,
But not so easy everywhere!
Same if E5 isn't available, but bare in mind that Most Maxol unlleaded is E5 regardless of labeling!
Best of luck man!
Dan

I ran my Altezza on E85 for well over a year, bought a piggy back type ecu called, full flex gold bio fuel adapter kit, didnt change anything else. made an extra 20 on the dyno before and after and 25ft l/bs . Wouldnt have the balls to try it on a turbo, i know another few lads that run it too. im not recommending it just saying i ran it problem free for over a year. was harder to cold start and used more fuel but it was cheaper so work out cheaper overall. was only 3 garages at the time that stocked E85 in Dublin. but could use normal unleaded to and kit would adjust

i dont know guys ethanol absorbs water it is highly corrosive to steel, if your not set up right it well eat your motor,, also it burns for longer then petrol,, kinda like an over combustion,, if you get me kinda thing and stuff ya know .... Yeh

Back