wrx v sti

andy_85_sti

iam sure there has been a thread like this already but just looking for soom info on the differences between the engines
how much power they can handle with out going into mad money etc. could you see 350bhp from a wrx impreza???

Yes you can get that from a wrx,but will cost you some serious cash....
Same as an sti you can get any power ya want,just depends on the money you got to spend...both engines are much the same,heads are different on v5-6 to the older ones..

so what kinda pwer could a wrx take with mabey full exhaust system fuel pump injectors front mount sti version 5 turbo how high can you go safely, been told my sti i could quite easly run the 350 mark with some basic mods

Afaik youd need a bigger turbo, maybe vf34 or vf35 from a new age

and probly a fuel pressure reg..and of course mapping aswell

Even with all that you wont make 350bhp I wouldn't think
I'm sure classic sti's have stronger bottom ends than wrx's

[quote author=andy_85_sti link=topic=17979.msg220201#msg220201 date=1252877421]
so what kinda pwer could a wrx take with mabey full exhaust system fuel pump injectors front mount sti version 5 turbo how high can you go safely, been told my sti i could quite easly run the 350 mark with some basic mods
[/quote]

V5 turbo will probably do 310-320bhp, and you'd be safe enough with either bottom end at that! But the mapping is absolutely essencial at that point! not just for power, she will blow up in no time if you did all that and not map her!
I personally wouldn't go any more than that on a classic wrx
On the Sti bottom end you could go for a TD05 18g turbo and get 350 with all the above mods! and she'd be safe enough
Best of luck man
Dan

thanks lad i was offered a 01 wrx for my 98 sti and was just considering could i get good power out of it as mines pretty nippy
but i dont think il bother if its goonna cost big money iam happy with what i have for the min

Classic is a fair bit lighter than the new age!
I reckon if your 98sti is just mapped but other wise pure standard, you'd have over 300bhp and a new age Wrx need arong 330bhp just to match pace,
New age WRX would need injectors, 18g, exhaust and remap for that!
I'd stick with the classic for the faster, nippier car, But I'd have the new age wrx for comfort and probably a bit safer in a crash with all the newer technolegy
Dan

classic wrx and sti bottom ends are same as such . Mainly only piston differences.

Both give or take 350bhp capable.

Back