Still have overheating problem

AndyC

ISDC Club Member
While driving along my water temp reads 88 degrees on the Power FC. Stopped in traffic it goes up to 92 then the fans kick in and it drops back down to 88.

Recently the temp has been staying stuck on 91.

Is my thermostat on its way out?

Re: Water temps?

I bought a ZeroSports coolthermo thermostat. It opens at a lower temp than the OEM stat. So that should sort it.

will do.

I hope its nothing more serious like water pump or head gasket going.

Hey Andy what mileage is on the car????
As far as i remember you change the water pump
at 60 - 65,000 miles .............i think :ponder:

Niall.

Ya your probarly due to change it soon ???
hopefully some one can confirm that but i think
im fairly right . I don't know if that has anything to do with
your water temp readding though ??????????

Niall.

water pump if failed you'd know.. there is no in between.. only say change it as a precation to prevent failure..

Fitted my ZeroSports CoolThermostat today and the water gauge is still going off the top. My power FC is reading 125 degrees. The fans are coming on at 92 degrees but the temp keeps climbing. Also, after fitting the lower rated thermostat the fans still came on at the normal temperature, why is that?

So, what do I check now?

Could be a head gasket....

if you have done all the above.. and happy no air lock or anything like that????

Start the engine and check if the water is pumping through your rad properly.
Check if the inlet and outlet hoses of your rad heat up. If one doesn't you've got an airlock.

OK just been out at the car.

I took the cap off the header tank and the cap off the coolant bottle behind the passenger side headlight.

Left car running and it started to overheat. The radiator was cold to the touch at the passenger side but hot on the drivers side. Also, looking into the header tank the coolant level never moved. Does that mean the water pump is knackered?

Just an idea but your rad could be clogged with gunge,if the car is overheating and the rad is hot on one side and not on the other you have no circulation, air lock/blockage/pump!

thanks Alan. I have followed the advice in that thread but still having problems.

If the fans are running and the temp stays climbing then the coolant isnt circulating through the rad, at least not at full flow.
Its not reccomended by subaru to change the water pump with the timing belt on any model, got that from the subaru tech. department.
I think on most cars the stat opens at 88'C so if you put in a pan of boiling water it shoud open. the old one that is.

[quote author=thedoc link=topic=2024.msg18368#msg18368 date=1176482823]

Its not reccomended by subaru to change the water pump with the timing belt on any model, got that from the subaru tech. department.

[/quote]

Its not?

No i emailed two years ago when i was changing the t belt at 55,000 and they said it is not required to change the pump and to inspect the pulleys and idlers.
Did this problem just start out of the blue or have you done some work?

Back