Timing Belt

zaphy

Sunday Drivers
I'll have to do my timing belt in the next few weeks - wondering is there any difference between belt manufacturers or are the all the same. Saw this in wikipedia but dunno is that a load of rubbish :

"Aftermarket timing belts may be used to alter engine performance. OEM timing belts will stretch at high rpm, retarding the cam and therefore the ignition.Stronger, aftermarket belts, will not stretch and the timing is preserved."

Surely if the belt did stretch it'd throw off the timing and you'd have a nice high rev collision with the valves.

I would imagine if a timing belt did stretch what you have said above would happen resulting in failure
but i would say it would more than likely snap as opposed to streching, oe belts last years without problem
and for extra piece of mind there is the likes of kevlar belts but about twice the price, oe is safe enough imo :thumbsup:

Belts do stretch over time that's why there is a tensioner on them. If a belt did stretch at high RPM then the tensioner would take up the slack anyway so I think what you've said about retarding timing is un true but slight stretching will NOT lead to valves hitting pistons, you can be upto about 3 teeth out on a timing belt before major damage is done, that's not to say its a good idea or that your car won't run very bad.

As above, If you really want extra piece of mind then go Kevlar but in all honesty I'd just stick in a genuine standard belt and change it when or before required :thumbsup:

Back