WRX E.C.U Trouble.

MickyTheFixer

Sunday Drivers
Hi folks, new to the site. Need an E.C.U for my 98 uk model WRX. Something blew the old ECU, may have been a 80AMP fuse I found bridged instead of replaced (thank you previous owner) or water may have got into it from a missing gromit in the footwell beside the E.C.U. (it was raining that day). Opened the E.C.U, big black chip fried.. black earth wire that comes from the E.C.U and is earthed of the E.C.U mount was incinerated (lucky the whole loom didnt go up with it!)
If i Get a UK E.C.U will I need to re programme the key to it??
If I Get a Jap E.C.U Will I not have to programme the key to it?? W
Will a Jap E.C.U fit a UK model WRX??
Any help greatly appreciated as I am Currently gettin a bus to work!
:subaru:

Could get another irish ecu and key, or if you have another ecu subaru could code a replacement key to it, is the immobiliser in the ecu??? cause i think i swapped ecu in irish car before without any hassle???? jap wiring is different but can be changed but then you will a jap ecu for jap petrol

[quote author=briancollins link=topic=17783.msg217596#msg217596 date=1252278086]
i've an ecu off a version 4 sti but doubt thats any good to ya buddy
[/quote]
I could be wrong but i think they were still making the v4 in 98 so could do the trick
depending on the amount of connector blocks, think v4 is 4 blocks and also if jap will
work on a uk car, it probably changed but my late 96 doesnt have a coded key,
but has got a clifford so aint going far :dance: :icon_lol:

On v5 v6 ecus the jap ecu will not start the irish car and vice versa. not sure about v4. wires need to be changed... i think you will be able to just put another irish 98 ecu in, i think there is a seperate immobilser unit in them.. be worth a try

Should be getting a Irish E.C.U tonight, gonna just throw it in and hope for the best. The guy I'm getting it off said alright the Jap ones do fit but dont run right.. I think there is one or two types of irish ones too because he wanted all the part numbers off it to match up. Ill let u know how I get on tomorrow, thanks for the feedback lads, very much appreciated!

[quote author=briancollins link=topic=17783.msg217596#msg217596 date=1252278086]
i've an ecu off a version 4 sti but doubt thats any good to ya buddy
[/quote] Hi brian, its mike!! Thx for the offer m8, how did u get on in Mondello yesterday?? Im an unlucky chap when it comes to scoobys ya think??!!

Back