A couple of questions

marksscooby

Petrolheads
Hi Lads

I want to change the turbo on my car, what turbo should i go for and what other parts would i need for that setup and would i have to leave it running same boost 1.35 bar? I dont want to max the engine out incase it would cause failure.

Engine mods done

sti 8 block with forged pistons, arp head bolts, uprated oil pump, cross drilled crank
hks 3"decat downpipe
japspeed 3" catback exhaust
sytec 255lph fuel pump
ngk pfr7b plugs
autobahn tmic
turbosmart bov
pipercross panel filter
simtek ecu mapped for 95+lucas, 1.35 bar boost.

I want to do these mods: front mount intercooler, induction kit, turbo

1.35BAR on one turbo will be different to 1.35BAR on another turbo so you will have to remap for your new setup.

20G turbo should do the trick I think.

probably need bigger injectors!!!
new fmic can be got cheap enough IMO rather than going second hand
defo will need a remap
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

pipe work on front mount would be different to yours. 18g or 20g turbo be plenty. I'm runnin an 18g at 1.9bar boost

Thanks lads :thumbsup:

[quote author=briancollins link=topic=17767.msg217362#msg217362 date=1252235353]
pipe work on front mount would be different to yours. 18g or 20g turbo be plenty. I'm runnin an 18g at 1.9bar boost
[/quote]

Would i get much gain from a 18g or 20g mine is very low boost compared to yours, are they td05 turbos?

yes td05. What turbo are u using at the minute, vf28?? Noticeable gain alright but if your running a steel built engine going for more boost is not an issue

Think you missed out the main part.. what power do you want??? smallest possible turbo that will give you the bhp you want is usually what guys go by.. by the way i noticed you didnt mention changing injectors or an adjustable pressure reg???? you have no point in buying a turbo without these... if i was you i would aim for probably 380bhp safe, i reckon a 20g with good spool up would do this nicely, and not have mad boost... Andy F recently dumped his md turbo on his type ra and went back to 20g

[quote author=briancollins link=topic=17767.msg217365#msg217365 date=1252240600]
yes td05. What turbo are u using at the minute, vf28?? Noticeable gain alright but if your running a steel built engine going for more boost is not an issue
[/quote]

I have a vf24

[quote author=KENC link=topic=17767.msg217368#msg217368 date=1252241591]
Think you missed out the main part.. what power do you want??? smallest possible turbo that will give you the bhp you want is usually what guys go by.. by the way i noticed you didnt mention changing injectors or an adjustable pressure reg???? you have no point in buying a turbo without these... if i was you i would aim for probably 380bhp safe, i reckon a 20g with good spool up would do this nicely, and not have mad boost... Andy F recently dumped his md turbo on his type ra and went back to 20g
[/quote]

I want around 350-380 bhp. I thought the oem injectors would be okay, but im a novice when it comes to these things, so what injectors, fuel reg would you recommend?. Would my boost figure be good enough to run a 20g or is this boost level too low, i dont really want to raise the boost more??

standard injectors may well be ok!!!
sard,sx,fuelab or aeromotive FPR would be well known regs with great performance

a 20g turbo is what your after plus a good fuel reg, fuel lab would be recommended. Standard yellow injectors are ok for that power but still may need to go above 1.35bar

I think you would be better to go for injectors and maybe leave the regulator.. you could get a regulator and leave yellow injectors in, however it may hamper what you can get out of your set up.. i.e when your being mapped certain cylinders may have more det than others and having a bigger injector only working at say 60% will allow room for one individual injector be mapped to dump in more fuel into the cylinder with det and quench it.. where as with yellow injectors running at 100% with reg.. i dont think mapper will have the benefit of that option...

Would that kind of power level put strain on the gearbox? would i be better off going for the 18g due to mine running low boost?

Would that kind of power level put strain on the gearbox? would i be better off going for the 18g due to mine running low boost?

Mark, you keep refering too what you are running boost wise now.. it has no relevance to putting a bigger turbo on and im not getting the point your trying to make with it?? :dontknow:
It makes me think that you are wanting to put a bigger turbo on and not get mapped again for it :dontknow:..
If you want to know the power rating on your box .. its said to be 400bhp max.. after that your on borrowed time.. however torque is more of a killer than bhp, and seen as do you are staying 2ltr i dont think you will have to worry about it too much,the way you launch your car and what clutch you have will have effect on box aswell as power
Again i dont understand why you keep refering to your 1.35 bar boost on vf24.... if you put an 18g on it will probably be mapped to its max output, whether that is at 1.2 or 1.5 etc etc.. if you are not going to try get max out of 18g you might aswell stay with vf24 imo ofcourse..
A turbo has a power rating, thatsbased on how much that turbo can flow, if you have a turbo thats maxd at 350bhp and at 1.35.. if you boost it to 2bar you still wont get anymore than the 350bhp, it physically cannot push anymore air through it....
My fear of the 18g is that up high in the revs it mite run out of puff for you, and there is nothing worst than that.. every engine has differnt characteristics
but i reckon a set of injectors, front mount and a 20g with around 1.4bar will see you close or on 380bhp and that will be ok on your box..
this is from Andy forrests site, where he seems to have dropped the 18g. he also mentions the md series

AFP5-20 - this is also a variation on the TD05. This time fitted with a much larger, high efficiency 20G compressor wheel and compressor housing. The high efficiency compressor allows the turbo to run at a lower rpm whilst still producing boost. This results in similar spool up to the 5-16 but with a 50bhp increase in airflow capability. This was the turbo used on our own RA to produce 440bhp (running fuel additives) . Up to 400 bhp is typically achievable in conjunction with full supporting modifications .

This turbo is very effective on the 2.0 and also 2.5 conversions with 1 bar+ boost coming in around 2600rpm on the 2.5

£795 new or £550 exchange (includes 12 months warranty)

We now stock the excellent MD321 series turbos, these turbos are still 'bolt-on' in the original position. They utilise the latest garrett ball bearing cores and fully ported IHI exhaust housings.

The MD321H is ideally suited to 2.0/2.1 ltr engines aiming for 400 bhp on pump fuel. Boost threshold is similar to a 20G

[quote author=KENC link=topic=17767.msg217449#msg217449 date=1252263324]

Mark, you keep refering too what you are running boost wise now.. it has no relevance to putting a bigger turbo on and im not getting the point your trying to make with it?? :dontknow:
It makes me think that you are wanting to put a bigger turbo on and not get mapped again for it :dontknow:..
If you want to know the power rating on your box .. its said to be 400bhp max.. after that your on borrowed time.. however torque is more of a killer than bhp, and seen as do you are staying 2ltr i dont think you will have to worry about it too much,the way you launch your car and what clutch you have will have effect on box aswell as power
Again i dont understand why you keep refering to your 1.35 bar boost on vf24.... if you put an 18g on it will probably be mapped to its max output, whether that is at 1.2 or 1.5 etc etc.. if you are not going to try get max out of 18g you might aswell stay with vf24 imo ofcourse..
A turbo has a power rating, thatsbased on how much that turbo can flow, if you have a turbo thats maxd at 350bhp and at 1.35.. if you boost it to 2bar you still wont get anymore than the 350bhp, it physically cannot push anymore air through it....
My fear of the 18g is that up high in the revs it mite run out of puff for you, and there is nothing worst than that.. every engine has differnt characteristics
but i reckon a set of injectors, front mount and a 20g with around 1.4bar will see you close or on 380bhp and that will be ok on your box..
this is from Andy forrests site, where he seems to have dropped the 18g. he also mentions the md series

AFP5-20 - this is also a variation on the TD05. This time fitted with a much larger, high efficiency 20G compressor wheel and compressor housing. The high efficiency compressor allows the turbo to run at a lower rpm whilst still producing boost. This results in similar spool up to the 5-16 but with a 50bhp increase in airflow capability. This was the turbo used on our own RA to produce 440bhp (running fuel additives) . Up to 400 bhp is typically achievable in conjunction with full supporting modifications .

This turbo is very effective on the 2.0 and also 2.5 conversions with 1 bar+ boost coming in around 2600rpm on the 2.5

£795 new or £550 exchange (includes 12 months warranty)

We now stock the excellent MD321 series turbos, these turbos are still 'bolt-on' in the original position. They utilise the latest garrett ball bearing cores and fully ported IHI exhaust housings.

The MD321H is ideally suited to 2.0/2.1 ltr engines aiming for 400 bhp on pump fuel. Boost threshold is similar to a 20G

[/quote]

Sorry ken, i didnt mean to keep going on about it :icon_redface: :icon_redface:. I do want to get it mapped for bigger turbo etc, its just im trying not to push the engine out to the max and end up causing failure, thats the last thing i want. the reason why i was on about the boost figure was that i was wondering would the bigger turbo reach its full potential with the boost im running and would it take longer in the rev range to make full boost, compared to other cars with bigger turbos that are running way higher boost and i dont know if my engine can handle higher boost. I understand what your saying and thanks for all the helpful info :thumbsup:

Mark

You will definitly be running 1.35 on the bigger turbo.. and with bigger turbo you will have a different power delivery, bit later but a whole lot bigger :thumbsup: when mapped with a good mapper the lag thing will be minimum.. some people say an avcr controller can help.. how it does im unsure.. with a front mount and say 20g you will need a bit of boost, but nothing crazy mate, you mite have to get a 3bar map sensor to go to go over 1.4bar do
I suspect Brian is running 1.9 bar to max out his 18g,
you could have around 380, 1.4 or 1.5 boost and not have the 20g maxd out.. does Md turbos are very highly rated in UK.. 18 g is not on Andys site anymore, and probably because its coverd ground, the 16g maxd will cover some of 18g ground and 20g not maxd will take over where maxd 16g left off...
Dont matter what turbo you get Mark, you are one in control.. you say what you want, if you want 1.4 max thats what the mapper will do, or as most of us do, just say... let her at it.. all good mappers wnt push car to dangerous ground on you.. i you had a 20g on i would just say i want to try get around 380 mark dont want mad boost

Back