engine rattle

christyper

Petrolheads
well lads i have a 99 sti type r, brought it out the dual carraige way this morning at about 70mph and heard a slight noise from the engine, let off the trottle and the noise went. got it home straight away heard nothing at idle but when i brought the revs up to 2500rpm i could hear a rattle :wall: i havent started the car since. could this be the big end bearing on the way out? :ponder: there is 124000km on the clock and i havent had any troble with the engine before. have ye any idea what the cause of it could be? and how much it could cost for a rebuild?

as mark said, sounds like the big end startin to let go. Don't drive it again until you talk to a professional about it. Dave in sti tuning built my engine and done a great job. Try ringin him about it

ya that sounds like the same problem i have alright . i changed the oil and filter every 5000 but the car is not mapped i just ran it on octane booster could this be what caused it?

how long is the car in the country? What have you done to the car mods wise? Subaru's are very fussy as to adding mods without mapping to suit. If it has only started, your crank may not be damaged so you could be lucky that way

i have the car since june 08 and the owner before me only had it a couple of months.the only mods done are a blitz nur spec exhaust and a blitz dump valve other than that the engine is standard

What about the oil pump, would that not cause a rattle too, is the timing belt in need of changing, or do you know was the pump changed with it when belt was done???

the belt was done by the last owner at 100000 but im not sure about the oil pump. i had a mechanic have a look today and he says it is the big end bearing starting to go. im going to make a few phone calls tomorrow and get a better idea of how bad it is

CHRISTYPER big ends R.I.P :icon_cry: sounds like you will be spending a few quid mate :wall:, where you based?

thats what i was thinking how much would i be looking at for a engine rebuild? i am in limerick i rang a few places today and no one arourd wants to even look at it

your as well to go for a steel build while your at it and you'll be lookin at 2000-3000 depending on what parts you go for. Ring sti tuning. Run of the mill mechanics tend to steer clear of subaru rebuilds

Depends on your plans really mate, hold on to it/ sell it/ tune it / keep standard etc etc...
Could allways look at going the New sti7/8 EJ20 short motor or EJ257 route.. both would be good for up to 400bhp if you had the bits to get you there..
i would reckon around around 2k euro would probably buy either new short motor.. then you have all the bits and bobs like gaskets, timing belt, new oil pump, new oil modene, maybe new water pump, fluids, maybe getting mapped! etc etc.. it all adds up.. cant speak for any other traders but i thnk Ali Burrows quoted me around 2600 sterling for a steel build closed deck 2ltr or 2.1.. and think he does a trailer in/ drive out service for 3500sterling.. He used to supply new short blocks aswell, Damo in Streetperformance supplies new motors and Sti tuning do the same, probably all traders here will do it,,,,,
other risky.. but cheap as old rope route if it works out for you, is 2nd hand engine.. complete engines will cost around 1k to 1300 euro.. but even when you can hear them running your taking chance, could be wankd or could be great engine.. allow for new belt, plugs, modene etc etc
++++side of 2nd hand route is you may be able to sell your old heads/ turbo/ inlet / ic/ coil pack etc etc to offset the cost.. where as when you buy new or rebuild you will have to use all your own ancillarys...
hope that gives you few ideas mate..not a nice situation.. been there.. and am there at moment:(

it might just be the tensioner on the timing belt, if its the hydraulic one it might have gone a bit weak, 124,000 isnt much, i have 230,000 on mine pure standard and it hasnt bein mapped that i know of, hope fully its not the big ends.

good information kenc :thumbsup: to be honest i dont know what i want to do with it yet :ponder: i have a lot of money spent on the car so far so i will probaly hold on to it. if i get it done id say ill be keeping the engine standard as i dont have the money to upgrade it at the moment. as far as i know the belt has been done i had a mechanic have a look at it and he said it is the big ends :wall:

If it is the big ends and you want to stay standard, you should look in to buying a new short block, you might be able to trade in your old one :dontknow:

Back