Sti type-r cutting out at idle

B4 soon

Petrolheads
Neighbour has just swapped an evo 5 for a V5 type-r today. He brought it here because its cutting out at idle.i took it for a spin and it drives ok through the revs but cuts out again at idle. i doubt the car is mapped and hes only got 95 unleaded in it(ive warned him) and its got a hks induction kit on it-would this be causing it? Also the speedo is not working-but car is showing no trouble codes. And he says the check light came on a few times-is that knock?

Sounds like it could be MAF related :ponder:

Also search the site about the speedo not working - think I remember somone posting up this problem before....

Alan

im fairly sure the speedo problem is down to the speed sensor-no big deal-but the running issue-Im not sure on.

He has a big HKS induction kit and it looks completely different! i think he'd be better off with standard set up in any case

[quote author=Ciaran RS-RA link=topic=17327.msg211742#msg211742 date=1250798242]
if its not mapped and it flashed the check light, it should have stored a fault
[/quote]

Thats what i thought-but no stored fault :dontknow:

Its nothing to do with being mapped or not.

Possible maf but check engine history fault codes.

If speedo not working then ecu will not allow car to boost as does not know the speed.

Its a hard one to answer on forum without seeing/driving/checking as back to list situation.

look at the idle control valve beside throttle body.

Its a stepper idle motor.

On right hand side made by jecs.

Two screws and out. Could be clogged up with crap.

Will be same as yours on B4.

Swap over before cleaning to eliminate.

if the car was mapped. ie. had a simteck or similar the check light could have lit due to knock. if it's a stanard ecu and you can't get any codes after the light has come on, i can't explain that. have you anything you can check the live data with. if the problem with the speedo is in the dash clocks the car will boost as normal, if the problem is in the sender unit or wiring to ecu it boost and then hit the safety boost cut.

My last type-r was the very same when i put an aftermarket dump valve on it ,car was standard other than that ,couldnt let it down to idle or it would just cut out ,was grand when i put standard one back on. :ponder2:

@tommy m-thats the first thing i looked at-but standard re-circulator still in place.
@ciaran rs-ra-right so speedo trouble must be in the dash so. Will have it back today to check maf properly and work from there. thanks lads.

[quote author=Ciaran RS-RA link=topic=17327.msg211860#msg211860 date=1250835494]
if the car was mapped. ie. had a simteck or similar the check light could have lit due to knock. if it's a stanard ecu and you can't get any codes after the light has come on, i can't explain that. have you anything you can check the live data with. if the problem with the speedo is in the dash clocks the car will boost as normal, if the problem is in the sender unit or wiring to ecu it boost and then hit the safety boost cut.
[/quote]

The Simtek ECU does not read knock so how would it throw an engine light on??

Confused??

Yeah I'd say the MAF could be the problem... does the HKS induction kit have an oil based filter caus this can sometimes cause the MAF to fail :thumbsup:

Back