Is this normal?

Power22b

Sunday Drivers
My car is a impreza sti and it was mapped to 1.3bar of boost. I normally drive around set at 1bar but when I turn it up to the 1.3bar and give it full throttle the boost fails down to about 1.1 bar after 3.5-4k rpm, its like its not able to maintain the 1.3bar at higher rev's. Is this normal?

As above,
Boost pipe leaking a bit maybe,
But also maybe your boost controller needs to be set properly!
Dan

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=17260.msg210939#msg210939 date=1250546584]
As above,
Boost pipe leaking a bit maybe,
But also maybe your boost controller needs to be set properly!
Dan
[/quote]

I thought that too about the boost controller but then i thought, if its been mapped to 1.3 then the boost controller should be set up right :ponder:

Its mapped on a power fc and I use that to control the boost but I guess its the standard factory boost solenoid its controlling. What is the easiest way to check for a leaking boost pipe?

[quote author=Power22b link=topic=17260.msg210948#msg210948 date=1250548293]
Its mapped on a power fc and I use that to control the boost but I guess its the standard factory boost solenoid its controlling. What is the easiest way to check for a leaking boost pipe?
[/quote]

You can check for the obvious loose or cracked pipes and hoses but to do a proper pressure test its not the easiest without professional equipment. If you can't find anything obvious ask the traders :thumbsup:

Might have to take a trip over to Dave at sti tuning. Does anyone else run at 1.3bar on here? And can they confirm if the boost holds steady for them throughout the rev range. Perhaps im reaching the limits of the turbo?

I know lads that run 1.3 bar boost but can't comment on how it drives, I'll leave that up to them.

No way your near the limits of your turbo or boost solenoid (seeing as its an apexi)

I'd bet its a boost leak, but get Dave to give it the once over and see what he finds :thumbsup:

Boost solenoid is standard factory one not apexi. Just the Apexi power fc ecu controls it. Could this be the problem as it wasnt designed to handle that amount of boost?

Actuator could be worn either!
I had to swap my two port for a three pot solinoid when I was running the 20g,
But needs to be mapped to suit!
Dan

As above, could be but without having a look at it we're just guessing.

I know lads running the factory 3 port without issue. yours is probably a 2 port though.

Looks like I have a problem with mine. Is there any self diagnostics I can try myself to see can I locate the problem

mine boosts to just over 1.3 but drops back to 1.1.. this only happened lately, gotta get it sorted for track day... mine is not mapped, i reckon its an actuator fault myself...

[quote author=Power22b link=topic=17260.msg211121#msg211121 date=1250609977]
Do the sti type r's run 1.3 bar as standard? @chris, at what rpm does it drop to 1.1bar?
[/quote]

standard boost is 0.9bar

I had this problem in my old type r and it turned out to be an actuator problem, the old one was just showing its age so replaced wit a greddy item, everything hunky dorey again :icon_grin:

Back