ABS Problem

TerryNavan

Middle Lane Hogs
I posted in another thread about if my car has ABS. And as i have found it definately does. Now there is no light showing on the dash on startup but you can feel it working. Problem i have is that i had to replace my front disks and calipers the other day and just replaced them with standard ones. I bled the system as i reckon it has never been done and replaced it with Dot 5.1 performance fluid and had to bleed out quite a bit of air after that.
Now problem is, especially on low speed the ABS is contantly working and think its only on the front drivers wheel. Any one any idea's what could be causing this as i cant drive the car safely as when ever i break it feels as if its pulling more on the left than right and car is all over the place

If the ABS light is not lighting up at all when you turn on the ignition, you should check that the bulb in the dash is not blown.
There may also be a chance the bulb may have been removed to hide an ABS problem! But hopefully not!

Should light up like this:
351vbio.jpg

if there was some dodgy work done before hand it could have been set to one side or the other i suppose but more than likely not.

I dont know if you have owned the car for a while or if this is the first time this work has been done on it... So afraid to kinda guess if that makes sense??

Check bulb, And get the car on diagnostics, it'l give you an idea what the story is!!!!!!
Last thing you want is too be coming around a corner and have too break suddenly and no brakes.
€40 is good value for piece of mind :thumbsup:

Only have the car a little while and been just going through the whole car slowly to fix the niggly problems. The ABS was never obvious on the car before changing the front discs and calipers and only came into the car after bleeding the system completely.
I take it the diagnostics that is to be run on the car wont show up with connecting the two blocks under the steering wheel?

Hmm, Changed the right caliper over again and still the same feeling. Not 100% now if it it actually is the ABS now :dontknow: it feels weird under the pedal when breaking as if there is a bunch of stones rumbling around when i hit the pedel and sounds like it as well on the drivers side. Damn i am confused :(

ARE THEY RIGHT PADS, are the pads down to metal? you said you changed disks and calipers? why you change calipers?

Caliper on the passenger side had got stuck and warped the disks so found a lad selling disks and calipers for cheap. The pads fit in nice and snug and plenty of meat left on them. Probably half worn. The calipers are the same as the ones removed from the car.
Nothing could have come loose really as checked all the bolts holding on the caliper and the disk is held on by them

Ah fair play mate, I'm in work tomorrow but as soon as i'm on a break i'd delighted for any insight :icon_headbang: Car has been parked up over a week and doing my nut in :subaru:

Tried to get ya today on your phone, you must have been busy :D I'll give you a buzz monday and let ya enjoy your sunday :icon_headbang:

n[quote author=TerryNavan link=topic=17081.msg210492#msg210492 date=1250371999]
Tried to get ya today on your phone, you must have been busy :D I'll give you a buzz monday and let ya enjoy your sunday :icon_headbang:
[/quote]
no prob, give me a call any time tomorrow

When i had the problem, all it kept showing up as is front right abs sensor, The problem with the Diagnostics for subaru is that it points you too the general direction but not to the source, It does not go into much depth.
So say there is a problem with blue wire 21 at block section 23, and this wire was connected to the front right abs sensor, all the diagnostics will show up is "fault" front right abs sensor, not too the point of which the problem has occured.
I had a problem with my Abs for over a year, Car went too 4 different garages inc. subaru main dealers, No one could figure it out, Left the car too Ciaran, 4 days later car diagnosed and fixed.
He's a genious with subaru's and he doesn't like things to get the better of him!!!!!!
Best of luck man.

Ciaran ! Your a genious haha. I disconnected the ABS plug and took it on a spin and its exactly what you thought it could be.

Back