Brake Pad question

gerry

Octane Boostaholics
I'm sure its been brought up before but my pads will need replacing soon. There was a topic on before about red stuff yellow stuuf. I have a 06 sti and on my last 03 sti one I out on sti pads and €150 a corner I think it was something mad anyway. What do people recommend. What about mintex pads too heard they were good. I don't do track days and the car is driven like a sunday driver most of the time so I'd not need anything too mad either
Thanks

some of the mintek ones squeal as far as i know, i have redstuff front pads and oem on the rear, there is a good improvement in braking, i find them good.

I would just get pure normal ones out of your local MotorFactors
They would defo be overwelmed after a lap of mondello, but no bother on the road
I have Motorfactor "Apec" pads all round on my 200bhp Deisel Golf (Audi S4 Brakes all round), I drive her very vey hard all day every day, no braking problems at all!
Very resonably priced also!
Dan

i would defo NOT recommend APEC pads for any subaru turbo car.

EBC Redstuff be a bit better then o.e. and would recommend that as a minimum.

Personal choice be Ferodo DS2500

I agree with above, I have ferodo 2500 on the car, don't fade, wear well, not overly bad for brake dust either.

Has anyone here ever overwelmed "normal" pads on the road with spirited driving??
I don't meen balls out, I mean driving as gerry initially described!
As Above, My pads on the golf were nearly to the metal, No time to source uprated pads, so €78 of Apec for the whole car, I thought, sure I'll see how it goes, and I'm pleasently surprised that they do work quite well, as in, I have never experianced fade
I drive the golf very hard all day, and she is 200bhp 300lb/ft, and 1400kg, I occupy myself by seeing how offen I can get the ESP to interveine on a journey!
I wouldn't personally put anything less than mintex 1144/ ferodo DS2500/ redstuff on the forester, But I beleive I may have a different driving style to gerry!
Dan

Yep...

Have Apecs on my 94 WRX.... but I use her for commuting so generally OK...

If you are doing a lot of braking... like on hilly and twisty roads - or racing... then the brakes when they get very hot... turn to chocolate.... you can jump on the pedal... and it will be solid.. but no braking or very poor.... also the heat will transfer back into the calipers and boil the fluid.... if you go that far... then you are heading for trouble!!!

Use good pads and if you cant aford them then save for them... they might save your life someday!

from my personal use on backroads apecs fade 3 hards brakes and redstuff about 5-6.. Maybe i'm just hard on braking??

Ferrodo ds2500 never on a public road.

Above using 4pot and Brembo Calipers.

apec me hole! dave is right lads.id go with ds2500 for road/track.best pad ive used so far.never got fade ever on the track or over the mountains flat out.do not buy mintex m1166 they are the worst pads ever faded on me in minutes and they squeel like a pig! im running fairly burnt 4 pot brembos and bog standard discs and the ds2500 are fantastic. :thumbsup:

There you have it,
Ferodo's seem to be the most popular,
I would have always put "good" pads on my cars, I found my golf metal to metal, and couldn't find good ones,
So I bought front and rear apec's and no problems yet! With lots of balls out driving! Similar weight to the Forester
Saying that, I personally would only ever put "good" pads on the forester
Dan

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=17059.msg209150#msg209150 date=1249976380] But I beleive I may have a different driving style to gerry!
Dan
[/quote]

:lol: The quote of the century Dan... The words chalk and cheese spring to mind :lol: :lol:

i think just over 200euro delivered.way more expensive than most but are well worth it in the long run.rough price for new age gold brembos,older 4pots may be cheaper.try camskill i find them the cheapest so far. :thumbsup:

4 pot ferodos are around the same money, had mintex in mine and changed to ferodos the difference is like night and day.esspically with enthusatic driving.

Back