Flywheel

A

andymorgans

Goy my 2005 legacy serviced and garage say needs a new flywheel at €700 plus fitting. The clutch is not slipping in any way. There is a slight noise when the clutch is out and when you dip the clutch the noise goes away. I have no reason to question the garage because they have always been excellent, do i need to get theis fixed or leave it until the clutch goes totally, any advice appreciated

i never heard of a new flywheel being fitted to a car? you sure it isn't a clutch drive plate??

Sounds like the release bearing to me or at most pressure plate or clutch plate..
but my money on the release bearing without hearing it, is it a jingly noise or what..
is it a standard clutch or comp clutch as some uprated clutches are noisey fokrs..
i think i would drive away on it,
maybe ask them how the arrived at the flywheel conclusion, as it seems to me they have skipped the 3 most likely candidates for some reason and jumped to the less likely one :ponder2: solid flywheels cant really make noise. :dontknow:

i had to get a new flywheel because clutch was breaking down and caused scorch marks was no way near 700 though

Thanks lads. The clutch isnt even slipping. Fat controller where did you get it from

got it done in ciaran rellys greenouge good lads couple lads down there used to work in subaru.

altezza dan had a dual mass done in his 05 not long ago in sti tuning.....
would be worth asking them lads!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

dave lattimore does work for them good friend of mine used to work in subaru . i think he knows yeah dave

yep had my clutch and flywheel replaced recently but didnt go near Subaru for parts, If she is still driveable and the only thing is a bit of noise i would leave it for now! and start saving! Exedy do a oem replacement kit for them. hell of a lot cheaper. very labour intensive job so i found that there is no point in replacing one or 2 parts, replace the whole kit, save you more in the long run if you had to get the box out again

Is there problems with dual mass flywheel? is the same one used on legacy as 6spd sti impreza?

[quote author=KENC link=topic=16998.msg210120#msg210120 date=1250199395]
Is there problems with dual mass flywheel? is the same one used on legacy as 6spd sti impreza?
[/quote]

Think the impreza's come with solid single flywheel

nearly sure lads an impreza does not have a dual mass flywheel? of any age! not sure about the latest new new age one as they dont need work yet!! any impreza ive put a clutch in,i.e.gc8 and new age always had a solid flywheel.the only difference was the sti type that was much lighter and had holes cut out all round the outside.the only time i replaced a flywheel on a gc8/new age was when there was really bad scorching on the face of the flywheel and could not be skimmed. or a bad judder up through the clutch pedal on slow take off from stopped,(could not be skimmed/machined)in my humble opinion........if your doing a clutch and obviously have the box out,check the fly wheel,ask someone if you dont know and skim or replace it if you dont want that judder up through the car/pedal.do it right first time lads/ladies,especially if your not doing it yourself.im sure someone will tell me im talking sh1te about this but thats how i do things as nixers. he he chamone mother fcukers!!

Thanks again lads. I think its a trip down to Subaru this weekend to look at a new Legacy with the devils fuel...............

Back