legacy exhaust question

alantul

Sunday Drivers
is there a cat on each down pipe? had it on the lift and can only see one cat on the drivers side we'l say, is the other one further up on the other side?
is there a cat and a silencer in the centre pipe after the down pipes if so is there any gain from removing this pipe on its own first? its just so straight its easy make that section of exhaust,
if anyone could tell me whats there it would be great, thanks!

The one in the centre section is a resonator box. No difference to be had by leaving it there except some more noise. :thumbsup:

[quote author=Mark Cahill link=topic=16994.msg208139#msg208139 date=1249599405]
The one in the centre section is a resonator box. No difference to be had by leaving it there except some more noise. :thumbsup:
[/quote]

there are two in my centre section , nearly sure one is a cat...?

There was a cat in the centre section of mine as well as a resonator box, maybe it different for the newer BE5 models like yours Mark :dontknow: ...There is a cat in the primary turbo down pipe (passenger side), There is no cat in the secondary downpipe (drivers side)...

A lot of people put a straight through centre section on their cars and have no issues. Off the top of my head, Mick (northdublin) has had a straight through centre section on his for over a year now with no issues and his was used as a daily driver

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=16994.msg208153#msg208153 date=1249629521]
There was a cat in the centre section of mine as well as a resonator box, maybe it different for the newer BE5 models like yours Mark :dontknow: ...There is a cat in the primary turbo down pipe (passenger side), There is no cat in the secondary downpipe (drivers side)...

A lot of people put a straight through centre section on their cars and have no issues. Off the top of my head, Mick (northdublin) has had a straight through centre section on his for over a year now with no issues and his was used as a daily driver
[/quote]

yes sorry mark i should have said mine was 99.

k il have a look again this evening, was nearly sure it was the drivers side had the cat on the down pipe, (i was more interested in my gear oil leak the same evening)
would it make any difference just doing the centre section ?
thanks for your help, :thumbsup:

Honest answer is i don't know if it would give you more power, it could allow the turbo's to spool a bit quicker than normal (because its a bit more free flowing) without overboosting so you might get a bit more power a bit earlier.

I will double check the downpipe in a few mins, would be nearly positive it is on the primary passenger side though. The secondary does have a flexi tubing part which you could maybe have mistaken for the cat :ponder2:

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=16994.msg208167#msg208167 date=1249636143]
Honest answer is i don't know if it would give you more power, it could allow the turbo's to spool a bit quicker than normal (because its a bit more free flowing) without overboosting so you might get a bit more power a bit earlier.

I will double check the downpipe in a few mins, would be nearly positive it is on the primary passenger side though. The secondary does have a flexi tubing part which you could maybe have mistaken for the cat :ponder2:
[/quote]

sound, maybe northdublin will be on later he might tell us what you reckon he done,
as for the down pipes i could only see one cat and nothing the other side thats why i was wonderin is it further up out of sight?
il throw in a boost guage to make sure im not over boosting when iv it done, id imagine if i did throw out a cat at all id have a bit more power? even so i dont mind id like the grunt!

Double checked there and its definitely the primary on the passenger side that has the cat in it. Just checked which of my downpipes i had replaced...

The cat on the primary is at the bottom of the pipe where it bends

You shouldnt over boost with just the centre decat but as always, better safe than sorry so get a boost gauge like you intend anyway :thumbsup:

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=16994.msg208188#msg208188 date=1249644574]
Double checked there and its definitely the primary on the passenger side that has the cat in it. Just checked which of my downpipes i had replaced...

The cat on the primary is at the bottom of the pipe where it bends

You shouldnt over boost with just the centre decat but as always, better safe than sorry so get a boost gauge like you intend anyway :thumbsup:
[/quote]

thanks for that i was goin to check mine at lunch!!
have you only replaced one down pipe then (the one with the cat is gone i take it)? and are they expensive? and where do i go!? :thumbsup:

I've replaced the primary downpipe, centre section and backbox with pieces from Hayward & Scott. And then i had the car remapped to suit. Cant remember off the top of my head but think it was around €800 for the 3 pieces delivered. The most expensive part was the backbox which was £275 sterling plus VAT. In hindsight i should have kept my own backbox but at the time i didnt know it was a Mine's Motorsport division box. I'm actually selling the H&S backbox at the moment (speaking of which, I must bump it) so i can refit the Mines one. http://www.haywardandscott.com/ - B4 exhaust parts are not listed so you'd have to email them for a quote. I'll try and dig out an old email i have from them with prices although they'd be 15 months old at this stage but might give you an idea

Top gear on here are also making custom exhaust but i have no idea what they are like. They might have a template made up by now for the B4 so it might be worth a call to price it for yourself. http://www.isdc.ie/discussion/index.php?topic=14041.0

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=16994.msg208205#msg208205 date=1249650031]
I've replaced the primary downpipe, centre section and backbox with pieces from Hayward & Scott. And then i had the car remapped to suit. Cant remember off the top of my head but think it was around €800 for the 3 pieces delivered. The most expensive part was the backbox which was £275 sterling plus VAT. In hindsight i should have kept my own backbox but at the time i didnt know it was a Mine's Motorsport division box. I'm actually selling the H&S backbox at the moment (speaking of which, I must bump it) so i can refit the Mines one. http://www.haywardandscott.com/ - B4 exhaust parts are not listed so you'd have to email them for a quote. I'll try and dig out an old email i have from them with prices although they'd be 15 months old at this stage but might give you an idea

Top gear on here are also making custom exhaust but i have no idea what they are like. They might have a template made up by now for the B4 so it might be worth a call to price it for yourself. http://www.isdc.ie/discussion/index.php?topic=14041.0
[/quote]

ya i had hayward &scott on my last legacy, came with it, all i really want is the down pipe as my back box is not standard and the centre section will be made,

Back