Temperature Question.

Power22b

Sunday Drivers
My sti seems to be at 90degrees most the time according to the hand held controller of my power fc. Does this sound ok or is it running a little hot?

As far as I know,
78 deg is normal
Up rated thermostats are around 72 deg
Get yourself a Zero/Sports thermostat (davelegacy has one on he shelf) and swap out all your coolant for fresh good quality coolant,
If you are very confident that you can do it yourself, fire away, but if you create air bubbles, you could screw up your engine!
If not, leave it to the pro's
Dan

Its a new engine and seemed to heat this high since day one. If cruising it sits at 86-87 degress. I noticed brown sludge in the expansion bottle, is that normal?

Oh,
Brown sludge,
Since the engine was fitted!
I'm afraid none of the above sounds good,
Brown sludge could be oil mixing with the water, and maybe water is not getting every where it needs to get to cool the engine!
Did a profesional fit the engine,
A lad on here had an engine failure on a brand new engine due to excess sealant blocking an oil chanel,
Defo needs to be checked out by a pro before any real damage is caused
Dan

It was built by Ali Burrows... There wasnt much brown sludge but still shouldn't be in it I suppose?

Mine runs the same temp on the power fc... always has.

Fan cuts in at 92 deg and cuts out at 89 deg.

Ali is very reputable!
If she suffered detination or overheated at some stage, she could have damaged the head gasket or something like that!
You can do a C02 test on your coolant to see if there i any exhaust gases in the coolant!
I hope it turns out to be something small,
Let us know how you get on!
Dan

[quote author=sti v6 link=topic=16956.msg207895#msg207895 date=1249514062]
Mine runs the same temp on the power fc... always has.

Fan cuts in at 92 deg and cuts out at 89 deg.
[/quote]

So its probably normal? Do you get any brown sludge in your coolant?

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=16956.msg207897#msg207897 date=1249514394]
Ali is very reputable!
If she suffered detination or overheated at some stage, she could have damaged the head gasket or something like that!
You can do a C02 test on your coolant to see if there i any exhaust gases in the coolant!
I hope it turns out to be something small,
Let us know how you get on!
Dan
[/quote]

Yeah Ali is a top man so im not even questioning his work. Might give it some new coolant. Any guides on how to do that on here?

Not that ive ever noticed. As dan said maybe get the coolant tested or change it for some fresh stuff.

Is the coolant itself discoloured... oily film on the top????

[quote author=sti v6 link=topic=16956.msg207903#msg207903 date=1249515679]
Not that ive ever noticed. As dan said maybe get the coolant tested or change it for some fresh stuff.

Is the coolant itself discoloured... oily film on the top????

[/quote]

Its like a film on it and stuck around the spout of the expansion bottle

As far as I know, it's the bleeding to mae sure there are o air bubbles is the important bit,
Thermostat is at the end of the bottom rad hose (on passenger side)
3 bolts to remove thecasing and the thermostat will pop out, Put the new one in (the right way around)
Put it back togetherand then fill up at both the rad and expansion tank,
I think put the rad cap back then you run her at tick over and top up as required, when the thermostat opens the water level will rise suddenly, expansion cap back on quicky,
Check levels the followig morning,
All this is just my opinion, I am a carpenter, If you are at all concerned, lave it upto one of the traders!
Dan

I have changed coolant in honda's loads of times but not a subaru, ill give it ago and see. Cheers for the help Dan :thumbsup:

Got email back from Ali, he had advised me to change the coolant so ill give that ago. Also think I will swap the thermostat for one of the aftermarket ones Sti-Tuning are selling. Anyone know the price of these? And what is best coolant to use? Cheers :thumbsup:

Back