Splutering like a whore.

qball

Sunday Drivers
Hi lads hope you all can help me on this one, car is spluttering and CEL is coming on this is happening when i accelerate moderately and also engine seems to be very rough when idling although when reving the engine to 1,500rpm it seems to balance up again then when taking pressure off accelerator it sometimes stays nice and balanced but most of the time its rough as ... also when accelerating shes lost a good bit of power not pushing hard at all but i can feel her wanting to go sometimes. Drove her again last night put the foot down in 4th gear smoothly and she boosted up to her usual .8bar and drove like she should as soon as i took my foot off accelerator she was back to usual and only boosting at .5bar but was defiantly not driving like she was boosting at that pressure. Ive read places that the car could be detonating or something along the lines of that but im sure some one can fill me in. Also supposed to book a once over with dave from sti tuning but i dont wanna drive her on that far without sorting this issue.

All the help is appreciated lads

Im not too sure mate, but if you getting a check engine light them maybe do a fault read on the ecu yourself?

Plug the connectors under the dash and read the code yourself. Is there anywhere local that could run diagnostics if you cant make it to dave? Where in the country are you based and maybe someone could suggest somewhere close? When you say the idle is rough, what do you mean? Are the revs bouncing up and down? If they are it could be the MAF or lamba sensor

[quote author=B4 soon link=topic=16941.msg207707#msg207707 date=1249471005]
Sounds like lambda
[/quote]

Mine had the same symptons when lambda was fooked too

[quote author=20vbzr link=topic=16941.msg207702#msg207702 date=1249469487]
Im not too sure mate, but if you getting a check engine light them maybe do a fault read on the ecu yourself?
[/quote]
How do i do a fault read myself or if you could point me to some where that shows me how.

Sounds like lambda
Lambda does look like its had its wiring butchered once or twice i shall check this

Plug the connectors under the dash and read the code yourself. Is there anywhere local that could run diagnostics if you cant make it to dave? Where in the country are you based and maybe someone could suggest somewhere close? When you say the idle is rough, what do you mean? Are the revs bouncing up and down? If they are it could be the MAF or lamba sensor
There is a subaru garage up in monasterevin if i cant get it sorted here ill tak a trip up.
I am in Mountmellick just outside of Portlaoise.
When i say rough idling it feels really unbalanced and you can feel it all the way through the car like your sitting in an old lorry and the box is shaking like a mad one aswell.
Revs arnt bouncing engine just feels really unbalanced at idle but when revved to 1,500rpm it seems to balance up then when taking foot off throttle shes grand untill shee hits the 900 and starts to get unbalanced again.

how long has that been goin on?
When was the last oil change? Has it been like this from roughly the same time?

[quote author=Hammie link=topic=16941.msg207720#msg207720 date=1249473935]
how long has that been goin on?
When was the last oil change? Has it been like this from roughly the same time?

[/quote]

Has been going on the past few days but havnt been driving the car, only have the car a few weeks so not too sure but i just topped up oil last week but havnt changed it yet, no its only been like this a few days.

Found out how to run check and the CEL is showing no faults at all, this must be where im supposed to get worried.

Its a worrying thought alright.... HOWEVER
Dont get too worked up yet... You say you topped up the oil last week.... Do you know what oil was in it? and was it the same oil you used to top it up? Personally I would never mix 2 different types of oil if i could avoid it.
Change the oil and filter maybe do a flush to get all the current oil out... Also once flushed ya could look for Filings in the old oil.... An abnormally large amount of filings could be cause for concern.
I would avoid driving the car unnecessarily till you work out what the problem is.
It could be the Lamba sensor as the lads have suggested however I would make sure its not more synister before driving it too much.

[quote author=Hammie link=topic=16941.msg207744#msg207744 date=1249478749]
Its a worrying thought alright.... HOWEVER
Dont get too worked up yet... You say you topped up the oil last week.... Do you know what oil was in it? and was it the same oil you used to top it up? Personally I would never mix 2 different types of oil if i could avoid it.
Change the oil and filter maybe do a flush to get all the current oil out... Also once flushed ya could look for Filings in the old oil.... An abnormally large amount of filings could be cause for concern.
I would avoid driving the car unnecessarily till you work out what the problem is.
It could be the Lamba sensor as the lads have suggested however I would make sure its not more synister before driving it too much.
[/quote]

I will check all of the above but if something is gone on her or is broked would she have given full power last night and then dropped off when let off the throttle, when she gave full power last night it felt as if there was nothing wrong with the engine at all and kept wanting to pull if something was wrong with pistons or what not inside the engine would it have acted like this?

I havent had any issues with my engine as yet (touch wood) so im not 100% sure to be honest....
I just remember my mate blowin the crap outta his engine (it was his own fault for drivin it the way he did and not lookin after it properly)
But I remember he was drivin along and commented how good it was runnin.... Tellin me "Soft engine me hole it takes all the abuse i can give it" that same night it let go......

So just cause its wantin to take more abuse or go harder it doesnt mean it can........
(dont want to worry ya just a personal memory and experience)

Thats why Im sayin dont drive unnecessarily till you know the root of the problem

If you have CEL you should have a code. And i still reckon lambda. Is the car "kangarooing" at low speeds?-Like is it very very jumpy?

[quote author=B4 soon link=topic=16941.msg207750#msg207750 date=1249479910]
If you have CEL you should have a code. And i still reckon lambda. Is the car "kangarooing" at low speeds?-Like is it very very jumpy?
[/quote]

Yeah it is very like that took off lambda there a min ago brushed off any excess screwed her back in and still same issue CEL is not on all the time its coming on when giving her a little but when i did a check on the CEL it just flashed and no error code came up. Drove her down the road there and had her in first let off throttle and engine popped like as if you would see on rally car when dropping revs and this has never happened before but could be coincidence. Any way ill get a pic up of the lambda when it cools and ill put it up so yous can have a gander. :icon_hang:

When the CEL flashes its giving you the code as far as i know...

Short flash is 1

Long flash is 10

Then you add them up..Somebody on here will have the codes if you post it up.

Cleaning lambda wont help-if its gone-its gone. Plus you need to reset the ecu before the fault will go away.

[quote author=markobucko link=topic=16941.msg207752#msg207752 date=1249480360]
is the engine misfiring???
:dontknow:
[/quote]

Ok plugged out leads and it seems its not firing on drivers side closest to firewall i also lifted myself out of it so i dont think its the leads, got a set of ngk pfr6b in bradshaws portlaoise for 60euro so gonna fit them once she cools off a bit, ill give yous an update once thats done ;)

Ok getting faults on 22 and 23 which is maf and knock sensor does this me sensors are faulty or something is trigering these sensors??

Back