mapping??

F

fat-controller

hi lads quick question reading an article regarding mapping of jap sti,s.according to this mapping isnt always necessary on jap sti,s,and it should only be done if running more boost or any performance modifications,that the stock ecu cant handle but the introduction of exhaust and ram air can be altered by the standard ecu.regarding the difference between the jap fuel and irish fuel is alot more complicated than i thought 100 octane to 95 octane isnt that simple because of the altiude and air density, the knock rating of the fuel varies because of the altitude and works out that the fuel burn is alot different .goes very in depth on the subject bascially boils down to theres not that much difference in the two fuels. any feed back would be good. :thumbsup:

Do a search on mapping on the main page.

Has been many a "discussion" on the site in the past.

From talking/reading members/ sites i think it is the safest way to go.

Initally expensive but took cost into account when i was getting my car and couldnt be more happier.

Wife has only driven the car once since mapped so even better

:smokin:

yeah i browsed the subject i just wanted an third party point of view.as i know a few lads some mapped some not and they both seem fine .would one of the traders be able to give me some technical info on the subject would be great jap car tempatures and stuff im in i.t system analyist wouldnt mind doing homework on the subject thanks :thumbsup:

You wouldnt really want to risk running 95 on an unmapped car.
Maxol E5 should be fine though or some decent octane booster(Lucas or NF are favoured here).
But a mapped car is probably a better option if you have the money. You will gain performance and drivability also from a mapping session.

Ask yourself one question, would you buy a jap import sti thats been in this country for 1year+ that hasnt been mapped for irelands 3rd class fuel?? Personally I wouldnt

but thats the thing its not that bad of fuel if you used jap fuel over here its nearly idetincal because of air density, altitude and distance car bibles explains the forumla

matt i was just reading various posts and sorry to here your engine went had it been mapped .sorry probably a sensitive question as i know how annoying car problems are :thumbsup:

When i bought my type r as a fresh import 2 years ago, it had about 10euro's worth of what must have been jap grade fuel in it.
Ran like a dream for 30min before i went to fill up. I had no octane booster so just put in 20euro to get me by.
The car ran like sh1te immediatly after the fill up on 95.
As for my engine going, i had my car mapped twice since i got it and suffered big end bearing failure due to wear.
Mapping would not prevent this. Mapping prevents detonation which causes pistons to melt which would be a more catastrophic failure :thumbsup:

Hello fat-controller,

In general I would recommend that you use E5 + booster on all Jap Imports before re-mapping :thumbsup:

This can prove a bit expensive / prohibitive as E5 is not wholly available throughout Ireland, so you have to plan your routes / refills :doh:

Mapping your car will give you piece of mind that you will not suffer from Det relative to the fuel which you have had it mapped to - so piece of mind - and you can also select your fuel type :thumbsup:

I hope this helps :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Michael
P.S. If you are mapping your car, you should also look at stage 1 mods if they have not been done already......

Back