do scooby engins give trouble

T

toebar

as above lad's only askin cause hearen a lot of storys bout them given trouble is dis true

treat it like a woman an it will never give ya trouble.

Every car gives trouble at some point. A scooby will hole out as long as you drive it right, change oil an service here regularly.

There no normal car but they are every bit just as good.

And way more fun.

AS above lad, it'll be as good as its looked after . I'm told however that the jap imports have a ' softer' engine, to quote what i heard. Can't really comment on that as i have an irish one :dontknow: Try and get one with good service history and good overall condition, plenty of well minded ones out there .... :thumbsup:

@ Tony...........hows the recovery going ? Still in quarentine ? :icon_sad:

Most horror storys you hear are from people who dont know what they are talking about imo...

I had heard all the above before i got my first and have never had a bit of trouble with her..

Some lads have though, whether its a fueling issue or just someone doing donuts all day..

All in all great cars and as already said once you service her regularly with good oil and dont

abuse it all day you should be fine.

I presume the 'softer' engine issue Richie is talking about is the fact that the majority of jdm cars need to be mapped for our fuel

This old chestnut...problem with how this reputation came about is that scoobies are such affordable performance cars that it is usually a step up from lads coming from Honda's and Nissan's where they take dogs abuse because they are high revving N/A's which dont need a lot of maintenance.
An STI for example has 280bhp from a 2 litre engine, it needs the correct oil and regular changes, it needs to be warmed up correctly and cooled down after a run, you need to avoid hitting the redline regularly and get it serviced regulary..BUT the most common cause of failure is fueling..the sh1t fuel we get in Ireland isn't good enough for JDM cars..its like asking an Athlete to train with just bread and water. The only real comparison against an STI is the EVo which has much more frequent service intervals so it that respect they are actually very reliable cars...every performance car has issues..thats what happens when you stress an engine and don't treat it properly...
the E36 m3 suffers from VANOS unit failure which are 4k to replace..the E46 m3 has a restrictor until the car gets up to temperature and they fed the vanos unit from the main oil source to correct the failures as people weren't changing the oil.
EVO's run big end bearings and the EVO4 suffe4rs from crank walk...s14 Silvia's run big ends and the SR20 id considered one of the strongest blown 2 litres you can get....Hondas are basically unbrustable but with so many in this country they've created a false template with which to compare other Jap cars..remember your running 140bhp per litre in an STI.
IF you buy a JDM Subaru thats been treated correctly and mapped for Irish fuel its no more likely to fail than any other engine

I would say i was the best person to answer that. I bought a new subaru in November 2005, have done 163000km and i have only ever had to replace a headlight bulb and tyres!!! Not one single failure of any part!!! As the lads say above make sure it is serviced at the correct intervals and you will have a bullit proof car. Before the subaru i had BMW's, Jaguars, Fords, Opel and this has been the most reliable car i have ever owned. My next car will be a subaru..............

If the above are not informative answers...... I dont know what would be classed as Informative....

Fair play to all :clap:

[quote author=20vbzr link=topic=16788.msg206161#msg206161 date=1248942062]
Most horror storys you hear are from people who dont know what they are talking about imo...

[/quote]

Well Said!! Pitty they are too thick in the skull to hear anything different!

Good info there dagnut

rgds

Paddy

So I suppose, in short,the key to reliable scooby ownership is,
Mapping, Servicing and Respect
Easy as that!
Dan

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=16788.msg206196#msg206196 date=1248947358]
So I suppose, in short,the key to reliable scooby ownership is,
Mapping, Servicing and Respect
Easy as that!
Dan
[/quote]

and a good alarm, otherwise you can't rely on it being there in the morning when you go to drive it!!

i blew an engine on a 50k mile b4.
got kenny mckinstry to rebuild it...i never met the man before but when i arrived to his premises he had more road cars for engine rebuilds than rallycars !!

i asked in passing why this was...he said 2 things....BAD OIL (eg grade and leaving services way too long) and secondly BAD FUEL(quality of petrol)

he said if people looked after these 2 items he reckoned he could nearly close down...

he also said the oil pump is a wee bit weak if you drive the car hard and especially on the low geared jap imports you would have to be carefull red lining it too much...

ive said it before on this website ,he told me "OIL IS CHEAP" and that has stuck in my mind ever since with anything i have mechanical that uses oil/grease...

7 years Driving 2 differant Imprezas oil change with genuine filter and decent oil every 4k....
neither car ever missed a beat....

On my second impreza, first was a jdm WRX and im on an sti now, never have given an ounce of hassle, just regular service with good oil eg Mobil1 15w50 Fully synth or ValvolineVR1 20w50 if your fond of a trackday or two, ive seen roadcars running ordinary castrol 10w40 magnatec not a bother, best cars on the road, no doubt. :subaru:

[quote author=Richiemac link=topic=16788.msg206149#msg206149 date=1248936173]

[/quote]

im on the mend,

getting there,
board on my own so much.

thanks for the concern tho :545:

ill be back in action soon :thumbsup:

[quote author=Turbo Tony link=topic=16788.msg206386#msg206386 date=1248988108]
[quote author=Richiemac link=topic=16788.msg206149#msg206149 date=1248936173]

[/quote]

im on the mend,

getting there,
board on my own so much.

thanks for the concern tho :545:

ill be back in action soon :thumbsup:
[/quote]

metallica will fix you good :lol:

Think your question has been answered above.

You can have a lot of fun without driving the stones outta them.

:smokin:

Here tony heard they were hoping that the bird/swine flue dont combine.Maybe you could have a combination :icon_grin:

I bought my car a year ago, not properally looked after in japan, but i fixed up all the problems, Nothin major, just annoying things. But i have all in perfect working order and its an absolute peach of a car i love it, i give it tlc, and i havent had anythin too complain about.!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Back