need help

A

aidan

hi lads, having a problem wit my car (03 wrx), came back from holiday last nite, collected car and it started on the button... drove it home everything fine... parked in garden and then went to move it and it was dead... when i turn ignition on everything goes dead, clock, radio etc... tried jumping it this morning no joy. noticed 1 thing, had just bout quarter tank and when i checked needle now its right at the bottom!!!! needle should still read petrol level even when engine off shouldin it?

any ideas lads.....

could it be a fuel problem???? just put petrol in it and needle still rock bottom and orange light on!!! when i drove it last nite the needle read quarter tank...

and ideas lads????

was just out at it there tried to jump it off the missus car and still no joy, can hear it trying to turn over very fainth it will only do it twice but wit the leads on the car the clock lights still turn off while tryin to turn over, not really sure if i can hear fuel pump..... checked all the fuses under the bonnet just in case...

if the fuel pump was knackered would it cause this? when i try turn the car over is the sound of the fuel pump obvious??????

is the engine spinning over healthy???
dont think the problem is fuel pump if the clock is switching off on cranking!!!
:ponder2:

[quote author=aidan link=topic=16713.msg205203#msg205203 date=1248633544]
if the fuel pump was knackered would it cause this? when i try turn the car over is the sound of the fuel pump obvious??????
[/quote]to check to see if its the fuel pump just turn the ignition lights on but dont try and start the car and you should be able to hear a swooshing noise coming from under the back seat area for a few seconds....

[quote author=markobucko link=topic=16713.msg205209#msg205209 date=1248634424]
is the engine spinning over healthy???
dont think the problem is fuel pump if the clock is switching off on cranking!!!
[/quote

the engine will spin over like once then a second or 2 spin again then thats it.

but the fuel gauge is readin empty and orange light is on... there is fuel in the tank!!!

[quote author=JOHNNY T link=topic=16713.msg205212#msg205212 date=1248636751]

to check to see if its the fuel pump just turn the ignition lights on but dont try and start the car and you should be able to hear a swooshing noise coming from under the back seat area for a few seconds....
[/quote]

i always wondered what that sound was , cheers for clearing that up

[quote author=markobucko link=topic=16713.msg205217#msg205217 date=1248640664]
think you'll have to start with the battery mate!!!
[/quote]

but i tried jump leads off another car would that not rule out the battery?
its really wrecking my head the thought of being off the road :angry1:
any ideas why the fuel needle is reading empty??????

[quote author=555-Scooby link=topic=16713.msg205225#msg205225 date=1248641815]
Not if the leads are cheap ones bought in a local garage...

[/quote]
yeah they are just cheap ones :icon_redface:

so do you reakon a new battery to start??

Borrow a battery off someone and try that..... if ur car starts then its a power problem....
The fuel needle will only read whats in the tank if there is power goin to it....

If you dont get it goin off another borrowed battery I would then look at ECU problems or something similar.....

Back