Starting problem from cold

marksscooby

Petrolheads
Hi Lads

I have a problem starting my car from cold, it takes from 7 to 9 turns to start the car, the revs stay on 0 while the car splutters and then when i press the accelarator a bit the revs go back up fine, there is a bit of blue smoke coming from the exhaust and it goes away after a few seconds. its fine when starting from hot and there is no blue smoke while driving it or anything, 3 days later and it will start fine from cold if i leave the car parked up for about a week then the starting problem happens again :icon_confused: My brother checked plugs etc and there fine he replaced the coolant temp sensor and no difference. The oil level is fine so far, he thinks its the valve stems seals would that cause starting problems?

Thanks

Mark

Hey mark, hows things? I have the same problem with my impreza after having it mapped by Andy F on the power fc ecu. If i leave the car for a few days it takes longer to start it and runs rough for a couple of seconds and abit of smoke but I think the smoke from mine looks like to much fuel is been delivered causing it to run rich on start up. Think the problem is map related rather than a faulty sensor, thats my take on it anyway.

[quote author=Power22b link=topic=16706.msg205173#msg205173 date=1248615021]
Hey mark, hows things? I have the same problem with my impreza after having it mapped by Andy F on the power fc ecu. If i leave the car for a few days it takes longer to start it and runs rough for a couple of seconds and abit of smoke but I think the smoke from mine looks like to much fuel is been delivered causing it to run rich on start up. Think the problem is map related rather than a faulty sensor, thats my take on it anyway.
[/quote]

Im good thanks, hopefully its not something serious

[quote author=MarkC link=topic=16706.msg205047#msg205047 date=1248535413]
Hi Lads

I have a problem starting my car from cold, it takes from 7 to 9 turns to start the car, the revs stay on 0 while the car splutters and then when i press the accelarator a bit the revs go back up fine, there is a bit of blue smoke coming from the exhaust and it goes away after a few seconds. its fine when starting from hot and there is no blue smoke while driving it or anything, 3 days later and it will start fine from cold if i leave the car parked up for about a week then the starting problem happens again :icon_confused: My brother checked plugs etc and there fine he replaced the coolant temp sensor and no difference. The oil level is fine so far, he thinks its the valve stems seals would that cause starting problems?

It Seems to be slower to start from cold since its mapped with simtek ecu

Thanks

Mark
[/quote]

reading what you said there its very simular to something that happened myself..... if it was left sitting for a certain amount of time it was very hard to start...( eventually this turned into overnight).... when it would start eventually it would belch out a puff of blue smoke.... i taught it was the engine on the way out or something.

Turns out tho strangly enough it was the battery... the cells had broken down inside and couldnt hold its charge, found this out with a high rate discharge tester... the blue smoke must have been excess fuel cos it wasnt firing straight away. Put a new battery in and solved it straight away. Might be worth getting it tested as your symtoms are very simular :thumbsup:

[quote author=sti v6 link=topic=16706.msg205196#msg205196 date=1248630075]
[quote author=MarkC link=topic=16706.msg205047#msg205047 date=1248535413]
Hi Lads

It Seems to be slower to start from cold since its mapped with simtek ecu

Thanks

Mark
[/quote]

reading what you said there its very simular to something that happened myself..... if it was left sitting for a certain amount of time it was very hard to start...( eventually this turned into overnight).... when it would start eventually it would belch out a puff of blue smoke.... i taught it was the engine on the way out or something.

Turns out tho strangly enough it was the battery... the cells had broken down inside and couldnt hold its charge, found this out with a high rate discharge tester... the blue smoke must have been excess fuel cos it wasnt firing straight away. Put a new battery in and solved it straight away. Might be worth getting it tested as your symtoms are very simular :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Thanks for that, i will get it checked tomorrow :thumbsup:

Now to think of it my battery probably isnt the best as it was dead for along time while the car wasnt running. Let us know does it solve your problem mark :thumbsup:

My brother checked the battery when he came home with a meter and it read 12 volts, so that must be the problem. he will check to see will the car start better with a battery pack, i will probably get a new battery so hopefully that will solve it :thumbsup:

my battery gave a normal reading with the volt metre aswell at the time... It was with the high rate discharger we found the problem with it :thumbsup:

I agree a volt meter will not give an acurate reading unless it is checked while starting car, this gives it a loading.

Clamp meter will only measure amps being drawn, it wont tell you anything about battery. If car needs 80 amps to start it will draw 80 amps wether batery is good or bad!

My brother put in a new battery and it made no difference

This is whats happening, a couple of turns to start from cold and a puff of blue smoke for a few seconds from the exhaust, and when i turn it off straight away and start it again it starts first turn and no blue smoke anyone know what would cause this :ponder2:

Hi Mark
Give Damo a shout and see if he knows if it could be a mapping issue :thumbsup:

[quote author=Matt link=topic=16706.msg207005#msg207005 date=1249221232]
Hi Mark
Give Damo a shout and see if he knows if it could be a mapping issue :thumbsup:
[/quote]

I thought blue smoke would be an oil problem :ponder: , My brother will do a compression test on it next week to rule out any problems, he was thinking it could be valve stem oil seals

[quote author=Matt link=topic=16706.msg207011#msg207011 date=1249222833]
Yeah does sound like oil alright.
Hopefully nothing serious :thumbsup:
[/quote]

I hope it will be okay.
Thanks Matt, hope you get your impreza fixed soon :thumbsup:

Back