Wheel spacers

20VBZR

Petrolheads
Hi lads whats the largest spacers you can get away with on a classic without damaging wheel bearings?

Also do u have to get these made up or can u buy them anywhere?

What are peoples opinions on doing this? I need to accomodate a slightly wider tyre on my type r

thanks

mark

You can buy them Mark.

I picked up a couple of 3mm spacers in Proparts before, remember being told that upto 5mm you're not gonna have any sort of problems. I think if you go to 8 or 10mm you're better off getting extended wheel nuts.

Not sure if the 3mm are any use to you but I'm not using them so you're more than welcome to them if you want.

Howdy
Don't worry about the bearings! if you used 22B wheels then that would be the equivilant of using (i think) 18mm spacers!
I use 20mm spacers on my wheels for trackdays, there are bolt on Eibach spacsers,
You can try them on if you like, If you want to call down to me sometime, we can do a pitstop outside my place!
I think they cost me €250
Dan

Thanks for the replies lads

I might take you up on that, maybe ill try yours first Brian.. Im not sure what size i need so il start small and work my way up to

yours Dan.

I got 225 tyres and there seems to be a rubbing coming from the rear drivers side when i turn left..and sometimes under braking

ive had the tyre off and cant see where the contact is so im gona try spacers and go from there..

Dont know why its only coming from one side though

Where are you Brian? I was going to head to the charity drive tomorrow but i cant see myself being able to put people

in the back

thanks again lads

Edit. Couldn't lay my hands on them this morning, I'll find them again and will get them to you

It may be rubbing on one side, due to slightly different camber settings!
If you are just looking for that little bit of clearance, then my 20mm spacers may be a bit big!
You are still welcome to try though,
It would look pretty cool with the wheels sitting out so far!
Dan

Its definitely not rubbing on the inside wheel arch is it?

Even if not surely adding anymore than a few mm of spacers will certainly have it hitting the lip on the inner arch.

I'd say she could be rubbing against the strut,
It wouldn't nessiseraly damage the tyre, and it would just rub the dirt of the strut!
There is a little bit of play in the wheel bearings,
Dan
Here's a pic of my spacers, as I say, Maybe a bit big :thumbsup:

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=16705.msg205312#msg205312 date=1248690871]
I'd say she could be rubbing against the strut,
It wouldn't nessiseraly damage the tyre, and it would just rub the dirt of the strut!
[/quote]

the tyre would build up more heat through friction!!!!
IMO...this is dangerous as the side wall doesnt carry as much strength as the threaded area!!
:thumbsup:

Ive done some driving on it the last day or two....

Iv taken the wheel off after driving to inspect where it might be rubbing and as far as i can see its not the arch lining, thought it might be touching the pipe to the fuel tank, but loads

clearance there. I think its the strut alright but it sounds a lot worse than it looks!

@mark i know what you mean not doing any unnecessary driving til its sorted :thumbsup:

There is no really obvious marks on the tyre if im honest, so i think (hope) small enough spacers will do the job!

As i said the noise is only there when turning left or under hard braking or big bumps...

Know what you mean Dan it would look good alright! il keep the offer in mind thanks..

Brian if you can get your hands on those spacers that would be a big help :thumbsup:

Back