Shopping for a Classic Impreza

Colm Mc

Sunday Drivers
I’m looking to buy a 98-00 Impreza & I plan spend about 6K or so. Im going to be keeping this car for a few years so I want it to be right from the outset.

I’m not necessarily looking for the fastest, most extreme model but when you are buying its worth getting the one with the right engine, suspension, interior, brakes, wheels etc.

Knowing these cars well, which model would you go for if you were buying one in the morning?

Tomorrow morning I would buy my car again..... Without a doubt.....

Took me 4 years to find an example as clean as mine for the money I wanted to spend... However My sights where set on a WRX Wagon from the start.
Didnt want the STI
Didnt want the 2l GL
it had to be a WRX........

And the bonus of it was that there is very very little done to my car so I know it hasnt been badly worked at in the past by some muppet that hasnt a clue......(thats 1 of my biggest fears)

Take your time and read up plenty about the model you have your heart set on.
Talk to people that own / have owned them in the past.
If your young (which most of us are when it comes to insurance) Just think what its going to cost to insure

DO NOT BUY THE FIRST CAR YOU SEE UNLESS YOU ARE 100% Sure about it

And when you do buy it...... Enjoy it

Type-R if you can afford the insurance. That would be my first choice or a Version 6 Sti. Take your time and look around, complete buyers market so make sure you find something you are really happy with as said above before you commit yourself :thumbsup:

Dont buy an impreza

buy a legacy

imprezas are only for girls :icon_nana:

should have a look at

ROB or GOLDENJOHNS cars...cause any car on here is well looked after

plus legacy are cheapier insurance

thats only my opinion

I agree with Dagnut, i know the car and very well looked after.

Again dont buy 1st one you drive or see!!!Youll fall in love with the power and the look from

the offset and may cloud your judgement.

I always give it the 7day rule, if you feel the same 7days after, then go for it, if not forget it.

As said, buyers market now and can get a good bargain so be patient and wait for the right one for you.

Better to get something with very little done as i did!!

Best of luck!!

Car

Remember to alloy money for a full service and the car to be mapped if this hasn't already been done. If your buying from a jap car garage they will tell you its had a full service but it wont have unless you find a good garage.

I drove this on Friday: http://www.carzone.ie/search/Subaru/Impreza/TURBO/200928194556023/advert?channel=CARS
Nice car, hes now asking 6750. Is this a WRX? I got an insurance quote & its not off the wall cos Im 31 (and a half!)

I gather that the STi is quicker than the WRX. Why would you pick a WRX over the STi - is it because of reliability? I hear of alot of Scoobys needing rebuilds at what seems like low milage. This scares the crap out of me when shopping of one :icon_omg:

That car in the link Dagnut posted is lovely but the orange trim aint for me :smile:

Type R's are nice but I guess they are worth around the 8K mark for a goodun :icon_sad:

Do all Jap imports need to be mapped for Irish fuel?

yes all jap imports have to be mapped for irish shitty fuel.
if i was buying a car again i would certainly look no further than the for sale section, there is loads of lovely scoobies and all very well looked after, and on the
bonus side it would more than likely be already mapped, saving u a few quid :thumbsup:

Not all jap cars need to be mapped. If you make any modifications then you will have to but otherwise it would be fine to run a 98-00 classic on E5. They were mapped for 100octane in japan so can retard themselves to match E5. A good mod would be the addition of a knocklink which will flash if there is any DET detected and you can back off, this is one of my next mods even though my car has already been mapped. there are a lot of lads here who are running their cars no problem on E5 and havent had their cars mapped

Im a fairly practicle person (when it suits me) so thats why I wanted the wagon.....
Well that and the fact that Im due to be a daddy in Jan and the extra room will be handy.

The reason I wanted the WRX (silly reason) I didnt want it to look like i was copying my mate who had 1 a while back but blew the shite outta his engine and sold the car (MUPPET--- He blew the engine it didnt just develop a problem)

Anyway, There are many many reasons that people make the choices they do....

Buyers market out there so ya are able to get the car you want at the money you want to spend......
Dont think just cause its a RA ya goina spend 2 - 3 k more...... It might be that the current owner needs shot of it for financial reasons and therefore will part with it slightly cheaper than they want to.....

At the end of the day....... The decision you make on what you want is what you have to live with...

Dont be afraid to hold out till you find what u want

TBH IM NOT PLUGGING HERE!!! but the trim can be easily changed,

I think Lee may have some of the original interior unless he has sprayed the lot that colour. :dontknow:

Again, as Hammie says, your going to be living with this car and driving her so choose wisely as there are enough

garages out there whom claim to have full service history etc etc and this simply is not the case however this cant

be said for all!! :thumbsup:

I bought my Type R from japan myself and am having her mapped for fuel, power and of course for peace of mind

(re:AMF sensor, detonation etc etc) and if you purchase something with easily verifiable history, such as the likes of

cars from members here, it saves you alot in the longrun

I would rather buy a car with a known history and track record which i feel is paramount!!

Best of luck anyway man :thumbsup:

[quote author=gc8aido link=topic=16622.msg204105#msg204105 date=1248267267]
TBH IM NOT PLUGGING HERE!!! but the trim can be easily changed,

I think Lee may have some of the original interior unless he has sprayed the lot that colour. :dontknow:

I would rather buy a car with a known history and track record which i feel is paramount!!

[/quote]

I agree with you about known history etc. I gave Lee a shout today about the car, unfortunately there are a few items that I would want to change staight away. So I think its best hold out for the spec Im looking for.

He has a lovely motor there though, no doubt about it, its got plenty of power, nice kit & the paintwork looks nice & fresh.

Besides, Im not in a big hurry & half the fun is looking. As a mate of mine says, there are 2 good days - The day you buy em & the day you sell em!

Back