a quick gearbox question??

JOHNNY T

ISDC Club Member
could anyone tell me how much would it cost roughly to recondition the gear box from my legacy?? 2nd and 4th are getting very noisey and its starting to turn me off driving the car big time :wall:

I remember codders was after someone to recon his box from his impreza but can't remember the price. Maybe send him a PM cause he done a fair amount of leg work already :thumbsup:

There is a fella next to the NCT centre doing gear box reconditioning but im not sure if he is that interested in scoobys

[quote author=davelegacy link=topic=16617.msg204000#msg204000 date=1248229138]
It depends on the box. Only a strip and inspection will reveal parts needed to replace.
[/quote] my mechanic said the exact same thing today and it could end up costing anything between 600 to 2000 euro to sort it.....

if i was to put in a box and rear diff from an impreza are the drive shafts a different size to the ones i have? and would i have to change the clucth aswell coz the legacy clucth is slightly smaller than an impreza one.....( new clucth fitted a year and a half ago and was shown the difference in the size between the 2 )
and what year impreza box and diff will fit my yolk :ponder2: cheers lads :thumbsup:

[quote author=Scoobymaniac link=topic=16617.msg203999#msg203999 date=1248228404]
I remember codders was after someone to recon his box from his impreza but can't remember the price. Maybe send him a PM cause he done a fair amount of leg work already :thumbsup:
[/quote]it was same mechanic that i use i think...

[quote author=JOHNNY T link=topic=16617.msg204085#msg204085 date=1248263088]
if i was to put in a box and rear diff from an impreza are the drive shafts a different size to the ones i have? and would i have to change the clucth aswell coz the legacy clucth is slightly smaller than an impreza one.....( new clucth fitted a year and a half ago and was shown the difference in the size between the 2 )
and what year impreza box and diff will fit my yolk :ponder2: cheers lads :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Hi Johnny,

Straight swap over. Driveshafts complete match and a although clutch 5mm difference it will all fit together no bother as swap. And impreza classic years regards boxes and diff.

Newage WRX's also fit but from 03 on slight differences in driveshaft and may cause slight leak.

[quote author=davelegacy link=topic=16617.msg204423#msg204423 date=1248319553]
[quote author=JOHNNY T link=topic=16617.msg204085#msg204085 date=1248263088]
[/quote]

Hi Johnny,

Straight swap over. Driveshafts complete match and a although clutch 5mm difference it will all fit together no bother as swap. And impreza classic years regards boxes and diff.

Newage WRX's also fit but from 03 on slight differences in driveshaft and may cause slight leak.
[/quote] cheers dave :thumbsup:

Dave put a Version 6 Impreza box into my Legacy with a Type R short shift. Defo the way to go Johnny

ya im definatley goin to go for it, ill be hitting the good ol credit union for a loan over the weekend :icon_lol:

Back