Over heating

black g wagon

Sunday Drivers
My mates 95 wrx has stated over heating. We were sitting in traffic the temp gauge started rising to 3 quarters of the gauge.
We had to turn the heating on full with all the windows open. Once the traffic cleared and we drove at speed the temp was fine again.
We checked the fan and it's working fine. Was thinking maybe termostat or maybe water pump.
Anyone help with this one?

check the coolant level and then check to see if the fans are coming on 1st

[quote author=black g wagon link=topic=1872.msg16573#msg16573 date=1174852447]
He topped up the coolant lastnight and said it took a while for the car to heat up this morning?
[/quote]

So its not over heating now?

why do you think it's a strange one?? just because he topped it up with coolant does not mean that their is not another problem....a leak,Thermostat, head gasket, etc....

leak possible but would say thermostat or head gasket.. if your happy not leaking, not losing water anywhere, and fans cutting in.

but taking longer to heat up then looking at thermo first..

Have a look at the rad (bottom driver's side) they get a crack (hair line) wont leak on tick over just when the car is driven hard.

I had exactly the same symptoms and the problem was exactly as Keith described above. Hairline crack in the rad - I have a 95 WRX too.

Back