different tyre sizes with AWD

G

greenwagon

Two of my new set of tyres arrived at last on Friday (hooray!  :D), and I got them fitted on the front wheels of my Legacy. The other two are promised for next week and the good news is that Eiretyres/Mytyres/Delticom (whichever they're called :ponder:) are giving them to me for nothing because of the mix-up (and maybe because I mentioned this forum?  ;)).

It's great to have the  :subaru: drivable again, especially after having to make do with a Micra for the last few weeks, but then I remembered that the old tyres (on the car when I bought it) are 195/65/15, and the new ones are 195/60/15 (the correct size) and I remembered the dire warnings in the Owner's Manual about the risk of damaging the drivetrain. Am I asking for trouble if I drive the car in the meantime with larger tyres on the back, or maybe not when you consider that the spare wheel is a small space-saving one anyway?  :dunno:

I think you are safe if the rear tyres are the same size as each other and the front tyres are the same size as each other. Don't know if that makes sense...???

I think you are safe if the rear tyres are the same size as each other and the front tyres are the same size as each other. Don't know if that makes sense...???

That is definately wrong ! If you have different tyre sizes on front to back it will mean the centre diff is working all the time & you could damage it .

I would drive as little as possible until you get the other 2 tyres fitted .

maybe not when you consider that the spare wheel is a small space-saving one anyway

You are only driving on that in an emergency at slow speeds (<60 kph) & over short distances .

[quote author=Turbo link=topic=1870.msg16516#msg16516 date=1174789482]I would drive as little as possible until you get the other 2 tyres fitted .[/quote]That's what I suspected, and I certainly wasn't planning any long trips while the car's like this. Looks like it's back to the Micra for now then, grrr. :(

Mind you, I got the new tyres fitted by Safeway Tyres in Ennis (recommended to me by D.26 Tire Co., the Vredestein importers) and was delighted to find a fine selection of good tyres sitting on their racks, I wish I'd known about them sooner! The owner seems both enthusiatic and knowledgeable, and (from personal experience of a track "blind test") strongly recommended me to try BF Goodrich. I wasn't aware of it at the time (and I don't think he was either) but I now discover that Subaru have switched tyre manufacturers from Pirelli to BF Goodrich for the 2007 World Rally Championship.

So now I'm half-tempted to go into Ennis again tomorrow and get a set fitted ... Nuts or what? :roll:

Problem solved, the other two tyres turned up at midday  :clap: and I got them fitted in Ennis this afternoon. Hooray!

So with new tyres on your  :subaru: what would you do? Me, I went for a run up to Gort on the main road for starters (still didn't see anything untoward going through Crusheen - fingers crossed), bought a couple of pieces of furniture for my new house at Kilkee (all being well!) and put them in the back (one of the joys of having a Legacy wagon :)), then headed home "the scenic route" via Kinvara and around the coast road through Ballyvaughan and the Burren. Great craic!   :lol:

I think you could say the Vredesteins are getting pretty worn-in already! :thumbsup:

[quote author=Niallyboy link=topic=1870.msg16775#msg16775 date=1175088190]sounds like a very intresting run you had there :thumbsup:

Enjoy :D[/quote]
Niall,

I enjoyed it mightily, especially as there was virtually nothing else on the road  :thumbsup:, though the girlfriend was complaining that the scenery was going by a bit fast, ahem!  :whistle:

We even saw the sun go down on Galway Bay (from various angles!)  :lol:

Back