Removing turbo off classic impreza??

collieno

Petrolheads
Is it easily done? Any tips while doing it? And anybody know any good places that recondition them?

Thanks

A lot of WD40 and patience id reckon.
I changed the downpipe on my car a while back and you will need to remove this in order to get the turbo out.
Bolts can be ceased from heat/age :thumbsup:

good chance the bolts on the turbo might break off if badly rusted, and get yourself some new gaskets

First take the intercooler off. Then the heat shield off the turbo. Undo the down pipe and expose the hidden bolts of the turbo at the back. You can get them all from the top with the down pipe off. Undo all the pipe work and you're done. Getting the bottom water pipe back on is a bit fiddly but its fairly straight forward to be honest. I swapped mine in about 2 hours and would do it in half the time now. I hadn't got a lift at the time but it would have been handy to drop the down pipe off. If you're used to rooting you'll be ok :thumbsup:

probably one of the easier turbos to replace out there!!!!
try those newer renault masters......fookin pig!!!
:icon_grin: :icon_grin:

[quote author=collieno link=topic=16579.msg203350#msg203350 date=1248124927]
Is it easily done? Any tips while doing it? And anybody know any good places that recondition them?

Thanks
[/quote]

Hi Collieno,

I dont know what turbo it is that you are reconditioning or how much its costing you but I have a VF29 turbo for sale. Its in great condition, absolutly no play in the shafts. Turbo did approx 60kmiles and it off my 97 type-r. Id need to get €350 for it. Let me know what you think.

Rgds

Paddy

[quote author=Richiemac link=topic=16579.msg203405#msg203405 date=1248128984]
I swapped mine in about 2 hours and would do it in half the time now. I hadn't got a lift at the time but it would have been handy to drop the down pipe off. [/quote]

If you can swap a turbo in an impreza in 1 hour without a ramp i will employ you........ :lol: :icon_lol:

I said it took 2 hours without a ramp approx. I now have a ramp and would imagine i could do it a lot quicker if i had to . I seem to recall you telling me it took about an hour and a half to two hours to swap, so i reckon i didn't do too bad.

[quote author=Richiemac link=topic=16579.msg204358#msg204358 date=1248297542]
I said it took 2 hours without a ramp approx. I now have a ramp and would imagine i could do it a lot quicker if i had to . I seem to recall you telling me it took about an hour and a half to two hours to swap, so i reckon i didn't do too bad.
[/quote]

Certainaly wasn't a conversation with me. maybe a downpipe swap over your thinking of?.

Welcome to do it on our ramp in that time no problem??

An ISDC public test perhaps??

So your happy to say from postion of set car up on ramp, raise. remove intercooler, exhaust bolts etc. oil feed and coolant lines removed from turbo, bolts of uppipe etc and reversal of removal. In an hour without test drive even and tool clean away??

DAVE

Back