Gears Crunching After Oil Change!

Power22b

Sunday Drivers
I changed the gearbox oil in my vers5 sti type r with Motul MOTYLGEAR 75W-90 and its now grinding when changing to 4th and 5th gear. Did I use the wrong type oil?

theres a wealth of info on the net on the type of oil to use!!!!
have a look!!!
if it was an oil problem i would suspect the problem be there in all gears!!!
:dontknow: :dontknow:

no the correct oil will help the crunching sensation. I think Castrol Syntrax 75W-90 is the correct fluid. That's what I used.

We usually use Redline MTL in the Subaru boxes and they shift very well as they have all the additives that allow the gears to engage properly.

I have been on to opieoils and they recommend Castrol Syntrax 75W-90 as the correct type oil due to the dccd gearbox so ill go with that.

We supply and use Motul 75/90 and lost count of amount we have in Imprezas and have never never had a problem.... If you say its due to the oil i would find it very questionable...

[quote author=Couture Nick link=topic=16576.msg204938#msg204938 date=1248468920]
We usually use Redline MTL in the Subaru boxes and they shift very well as they have all the additives that allow the gears to engage properly.
[/quote]

was watching Leno's garage and he was going on about MTL the yanks love it

i also use motul with no issues, usually the crunchy fifth is down to a loose nut on the shaft. unusual that it only came in after the oil change thou. is it crunchy at all engine speeds, or just high rpm

No just high rpm and only in 4th and 5th. It was getting worse the longer I drove it. Check oil level and its a little above the full mark that wouldn't have any bearing on it?? Either way it seems the Motul 75/90 is not recommended so im going to change it and hopefully that solve's the problem.

[quote author=Power22b link=topic=16576.msg204999#msg204999 date=1248513600]
No just high rpm and only in 4th and 5th. It was getting worse the longer I drove it. Check oil level and its a little above the full mark that wouldn't have any bearing on it?? Either way it seems the Motul 75/90 is not recommended so im going to change it and hopefully that solve's the problem.
[/quote]
motul gear 75/90 is a direct alternative to the castrol syntrax. i use the 300 rather than the motylgear, and have had no issues. hope the syntax sorts it for you

Yeah I hope so too. Where is this loose nut on the saft you were on about? As the grinding does seem worse going into 5th gear.

[quote author=Ciaran RS-RA link=topic=16576.msg205274#msg205274 date=1248682408]
the nut that holds fifth gear on, common problem. but shouldn't effect going from 3rd into 4th
[/quote]

Is that a gearbox out job to fix as I have similar symptoms.

Update on the situation, I changed the gearbox oil to silkolene Silktran syn 5 and the crunch when shifting to 4th gear has gone however there is still a crunch when going to 5th. I think the 5th gear crunch is down to what Ciaran has mentioned, the loose nut within the gearbox so I will have to have the box opened shortly to investigate hopefully no further damage has occured due to this.

Let us know how you get on.Have the same problem myself,crunching into 5th.
If its only a case of pulling off the gearbox and doing a little minor surgery without having to send the box away
that would be ok :thumbsup:

Is a baulky 5th not a common problem on type r.. i have experienced it in 2 type r's before, same traits, high rev change. that be the syncho rings??

Is the Motul you used rated as GL5 75W90? Subaru specify GL5 or equivalent :thumbsup:

Personally i use Castrol Syntrax 75W-90 but thats only because its handy to get

Back