Impreza 1.6 - MPG & performance

mika

Sunday Drivers
Hi guys.

Anyone hear able to explain this

I'm driving a 00 1.6 Impreza (classic) totally standard with 154k miles on the clock. I generally get an oil & filter change done every 5 to 8 thousand miles. After the last few services I have noticed it to be heavier on petrol for about the first 3000 miles after a service and after that generally gives better MPG. It could be about 34 to 36mpg after a service and then up to 39 to 42 after a service. Could it be something to do with the viscosity of the oil after it gets a service?

I also notice a big variation in the performance of the engine (power) from time to time and generally after an oil change is a bit slower??

Anyone else in a 1.6 ever notice this? Interested to hear if you have.

Mick

welcome along .to be honest after having 2 1.6 imprezas there shouldn.t be that much of a difference the mpg or performance before or after a service . if anything you should be getting more mpg after the service with new plugs filters and stuff . do there know there stuff where it's getting serviced mabey needs a tune up are there using the wrong plugs :dont know: :dont know:

Dunno how your getting between 30 and 40 mpg lad :ponder2:, My 1.6 wouldn,t even come close to 30 if i tried , :icon_hang:

Hope you get sorted out :smokin:

never noticed much variation before or after service
great car - so cheap to buy and insure - that 3rd gear!!!

if anything performance would be better after service. hard to understand how mpg would be lower on fresh plugs, filters and oil?? :ponder2:

thanks for the replies...

yea it's a bit strange alright....thought I was just imagining it myself at first but its seemed to be a pattern over the last four services, due a service now again so will be interesting to see how it goes this time. I get it serviced in a former Subaru main dealer so they are well familar with them. To be honest it's pretty good mpg to be getting anyway so it's not a problem but curious as to the variation.....and the variation in power does be a good bit too. I do be driving another 1.6 Impreza (1999) a good bit to and at times there is no camparison in the power. One thing I'm pretty sure of is they have a preference for good quality petrol :thumbsup:

[quote author=kanye from the west link=topic=16557.msg203451#msg203451 date=1248143520]
Had 2 1.6 and both were terrible on petrol. Nearly as bad as a wrx
[/quote]

Were they front wheel drive or AWD? I'd imagine the AWD would be much heavier on the juice alright.

Mick

Hard 2 understand the power thing and dont know how u gettin tat good mph :ponder2: :ponder2
Our 05 scooby drinks juice and no power compared 2 my turbo one but lovely car 2 drive :smile: :smile:

Back