Rear Drive

qball

Sunday Drivers
Ok rear drive is gone on STi does anyone know if this is repairable or will i need a new part can someone point me in the rite direction is rear drive just the diff?

are you sure that the fault is diagnosed correctly mate???
the rear diff can be reconditioned.....i can find out who my old employers used to use coz they were first class but that was for mercs!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Weird!
I had A 98 forester turbo (auto) that ran FWD for a while!
Had it in with a few lads (Before my ISDC days so not club traders)
No one could fix it, I thought "feck it" I'll put her through the NCT anyway!
So I replaced a broken rear anti roll bar bracket, and a good few bulbs that were blown,
And when I was diving to the test center, I dropped the boot expecting the front wheels to spin and she just drove on, AWD again, and she was grand ever since!
Some of the autos have a fuse that disconnects the RWD for towing,
Maybe something like that??
Dan

Well ill tell ya what i do know is that when pulling off its really clicky at the rear and when turning corners at speed its very very click almost sounds forced to turn at the back. So im assuming this is diff if anything else please let me know as i dont claim to be mechanically minded but ill have a go(Probably worse off for it lol).

Could be diff or possibly one of the cv joints. If its a quite loud clunk then it is more than likely the diff. Breakers were charging £100 for an R160 rear diff (classic saloon model) and £200 for an R180 diff (newage STI and Type-R/RA) the last time i was up there. You should weigh this up against the cost of reconditioning the diff, but if you do go second hand, just make sure you get the right ratio.

Back